Give me half a dosis !

jihem

Well, I've tried hard but never got round to really like my 2008 Griso 1200. Yes, it's fast,  yes it looks great if you don't look at the exhaust side of the bike, yes it has some cool details but no, I just didn't like that 8 valves motor delivery.  I just never fell in love with the Griso.

Why is that ? It's totally subjective of course cos that engine is very potent, the brakes are amazing, the frame isn't bad but something got lost when they incept the soul in it: the delivery, the torque wave, the way it kicks in, it just didn't do it for me and the bike had to go and let room for another one.

And, well, i got my hand on the smallest of them all, the intro bike to the Guzzi range: a simple, nearly bare V7 stone. Half the horsepower of a Griso, 60 kgs less, the size of a big bicycle, this seems hardly the kind of things that could excite a 6 times owner of a Guzzi but we're wrong: this V7 has charms. And it should be great for my use which is now mainly town and the occasional sunday ride. Gone are the track days with the Ghezzi, gone are the long stretches of B roads with the Calif T3, gone are the days of the leaky days of my V50 Nato, gone are the mad rushes of the Griso acceleration. Please welcome a bike that just that: WYSIWYG: a simple 750cc engine in a black bike, 170 kgs of ready-to-go Moto Guzzi.

Initially, on picture, I wanted a V7 special with the S3 colors and the nice wheels but when the bike arrived at the dealership, the real thing turned out to be far too shiny and bling-bling. The Stone is simple and some of its parts (the suspensions, the horn, the seat) are really less than average but the overall package oozes of a cool feel. Yes, it's very "hipster" and there are already companies in France (http://www.baak-moto.fr/) proposing boober versions with 16 wheels conversion, but I can feel big grins ahead.

I'll keep you posted :)

2013-Moto-Guzzi-V7-Stone-V7-Special-and-V7-Racer_15.jpg

• Like 1

They look to the best of what Moto Guzzi is building. A very nice choice and really good all around motorcycle!

Excellent choice! :thumbsup:

I'm going to be very interested to hear how you enjoy the v7 . I came from a v50 background and was looking for a v7 when I stumbled across my v11 ..... To be honest a v7 converted to a scrambler is what I really lust after. One day.

I'm with you on the 2 vs 4 valve thing.

4 valves take something essential away for me and it's about the way the engine delivers, e.g. 2 valve vs 4 valve Dukes; Yam SR500 vs SRX is another example (although by most other measures the latter was a much better bike).

The only exception in my experience of a 4 valve engine that seemed way better to me than its 2 valve predecessor was one of the last Meriden Triumphs, the TSS 750.

Stonking: what the Meriden Twins should always have been, I got to ride several different TSSs and they all had fine engines (although, as I recall, one of them did subsequently and spectacularly self destruct, so... :huh2: ).

Enjoy your V7. I'm thinking about one myself!

Less is more... once again?

Enjoy your V7. I'm thinking about one myself!

Less is more... once again?

I think this article explains it all quite well .....

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/739/17076/Motorcycle-Article/Single-Track-Mind---How-Much-is-Too-Much-.aspx

...and the last bit confirms my observation that not only do policemen look younger nowadays but aren't always the paragons of life experience and common sense we were brought up to think they were.

I still know to bite my tongue when getting a finger* wagging from an officer of the law.

* what they still generally use here instead of firearms, thankfully

...and the last bit confirms my observation that not only do policemen look younger nowadays but aren't always the paragons of life experience and common sense we were brought up to think they were...

Nice observation, indeed.

Found this picture recently. The policeman, it's the one in the middle BTW, not only is looking rather relaxed, he's even smoking. In the public and while on duty   :grin:

Hubert

big_Munich_Hist30.jpg?233f6c1s4yscii

I'm with you on the 2 vs 4 valve thing.

4 valves take something essential away for me and it's about the way the engine delivers, e.g. 2 valve vs 4 valve Dukes; Yam SR500 vs SRX is another example (although by most other measures the latter was a much better bike)....

I'd be glad to have 4 instead of 2.

4 nowadays definitely is the better concept. Commercial aspects aside you could design an overall much torquier 92 HP 4-valver than what we have with our actual 2-valve anachronism. That's why you liked the last Triumphs. It's not the 4 valves, it's just what you use them for.

Hubert

There is nothing a two valve head can do better than a 4 valve head. I would happily trade my 2 valve Griso for a 4/8 valve one.

Sorry you and the Griso did not work out. I can totally understand, valve counts aside. My Griso is not as endearing as any of the other three Guzzi's we own. The V11 sport is my wife's pride and joy. My Daytona is a truely cool motorcycle to ride. The Lario is a unique blast from the past. The Griso is..... a couch. A truely competent couch that mostly just works great. But it does not have the character of the other three to me. I keep it and ride it. But if I had to sell one it would be the one.

A week or so with the V7 stone and all I can say is...this is the BEST city bike I ever had (and i had plenty).

For towns, it's even better than the V50s Nato I had, something to do with ergonomics and weight distribution I guess plus the fact you can turn this handlebar full tilt without any problems. It's like a big bicycle. It handles very well, get you out of the traffic even when it's still on  breaking mode. Sound is nice, engine has good torque but you need to remember it's only one solo disc at the front. Back brake isn't very compliant, it's a bit rough and you need to be careful when applying pressure.

Just a few minor things:

1/ Can't get used to have a side stand that remote compared to the ones my other Guzzi had: I'm used to extend the left leg to open/close it and with the V7 the side stand is actually situated much more near the pegs. Needs some time to sink in.

2/ my V7 doesn't like to be operated while cold. Even after having it warm it up a bit (no, I can't wait longer to have the bike at perfect t°, I only let it idle for a couple of minutes, time to put helmet + gloves on). It will most time than not need a few throttle strikes or it will bring  minor troubles when trying to lift off.

Besides these two points which aren't important really or can be fixed easily,  this bike is the real McCoy in town and will run on one gas tank like for ever...

Ah yes, the back suspensions are a joke. It will need scrutinizing and maybe upgrading to better ones. Doesn't bite you unless you cut the throttle in the middle of a corner, which you're not supposed to, but it will wave a little bit on curves from mid-speed (60 mph and up).

Took it for a spin on B roads and I can definitively say this bike has soul. The one I like, the perfect spot where you swear this motorbike will run until the end of time with the throttle only opened juuuuuust a litlle bit.

• Like 2