Bell Housing Leak

docc

Yeah, actually I don't think my old hose is leaking. It's getting a little cracked at the top but not the bottom.

I'll check with a couple of the Moto Guzzi suppliers and see what's up and probably have my parts guy restock the heater hose.

Man, I really appreciate the expert advice!

Cool. Thanks, Ken!  I saw that, but was hoping to replacing my tail light at the same time and don't see it listed on their site. Waiting to hear back from MPH on that. I thought the tail light would be easy, but not so far . . .

That has been my experience.... rubber is for petroleum or coolant and sometimes both....unfortunately you need to find a hose that will work with petroleum or buy the factory ( crummy) vent hose.... the hose you have might last a year or two .

I can be a v11 guinea pig b/c when I replaced mine, impatiently I used a similar radiator hose... D'oh!

Make sure the check valve goes in  with the new hose and not discarded with the old hose .....

No valve on mine or other V11s having reported in. No valve on the parts diagrams either (?) . . .

After replacing the breather hose (with the Moto Guzzi hose from MGcycle) and sealing the distributor cover plate, a little 44 mile ride shows no wetness anywhere.

I did take the time to remove the starter and the right side inspection plug and wash out the bell housing with electronics cleaner.

Time will now tell if all the wetness that looked like it was coming from the bell housing/ rear of the engine has actually been from the top of the engine.

Let's hope!!

• 3 weeks later...

After a hundred miles, no weep hole leak. The top of the motor is dry. I had never noticed that the distributor block off plate is right next to the opening for the crankcase breather allowing oil to flow out of the plate and through the bell housing. It appears that sealing this plate has stopped the bell housing leak! (That said, I also replaced the breather hose, the dipstick O-ring, and the O-ring on the timing sensor.)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sure, another hundred miles and it shows its ugly head. Every thing I fixed so far has tightened it up more and more, but something is still drizzling fresh oil out the weep hole. Now pondering whether to just ride it, put up with the nuisance, and wait for the clutch to start slipping so I can replace that and get the oil leak stopped all while the gearbox is off the engine. :bbblll:

DSCN1183.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update with my 2001 V11S. It was the rear main seal. The dealer will finally be done with it early next week. The first seal he ordered was the wrong size, and he swears that he ordered the right part number. That may explain why the PO had his seal replaced within the first 1,000 miles. Turns out my swing arm bearings were shot as well, and I had him do a few other things as well (shift return spring, clutch discs, wheel bearings). 

I'm sure the repairs will be expensive, but I've been working 6-7 days per week and certainly don't have the time to tackle this myself. Can't wait to get it back and update the ECU with Guzzidiag. I have a version from Meinolf that is supposed to make corrections for temperature so that it doesn't run lean when it gets hot. Check out his work here: http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=67653.0

Ken

Ken,

Be sure to have your dealer address the other leak sources while the bike's apart: the cam plug and the two bolts. Some would say it's also a good time for a new gearbox input shaft seal and a new seal for the clutch actuation shaft.

Thanks for posting your results. This remains on my "To Do" list . . .