2003 V11 Sport Naked - serial number one?

chamberlin

OK, here's today's update!

Decided to ditch the helmet lock mechanism....not to save weight or anything, but just to clean up the frame a little. Does anybody use these things?

2013-12-22130814_zps5ca5d3ac.jpg

Result after grinding, sanding and painting. (I also increased the preload on the rear damper a bit per your recommendations - but I think I'm going to go aftermarket next year)

2013-12-22154711_zpse789b07c.jpg

After reading about Keith's fuel pump leaking post today, I decided to pull mine out too, and prep it for the new Coppa tank. It appears mine is the 1st gen version,

with the white plastic retainer sleeve. The newer ones are black I think.

Well, this is how it came out of the tank: detached from the sleeve. Must have been low enough in the tank to still be picking up (unfiltered!) fuel, because the

bike was running fine when I first got it. Gasket is starting to crack and split, so I've got a new one in my Guzzibits shopping cart now...need to find time to

research more needed parts before ordering another Scorpion box from the U.K. LOL :grin:

2013-12-22144959_zpseab79075.jpg

2013-12-22145033_zpsfb5f57e6.jpg

My fix for making sure the fuel pump can't ever come out of the sleeve again! (learned this trick from the oil filter trick!)
2013-12-22151122_zps2ca8594c.jpg

New filter installed and it's all cleaned up and ready to install. The factory style crimps are very easy to install, but harder to remove. The arrow

on the fuel filter looks like it's pointing the wrong way to the pump, but the arrow is actually pointing towards the outlet like it's supposed to...just crappy cell phone pic.

2013-12-22152413_zps34ebcf48.jpg

There's a support member for the evap canister on the crossover box... bye bye.

2013-12-22121440_zps3c55d9b3.jpg

Tabs cut-off and the box cleaned up, ready for re-mounting.
2013-12-22123305_zpsc261bee1.jpg

There's a support member for the evap canister on the crossover box... bye bye.

Tabs cut-off and the box cleaned up, ready for re-mounting.

That's the crossover support bracket on mine! Goes between rubber bushes: funny arrangement but I personally wouldn't remove that so lightly...

Too late anyway, I guess...

Woops! :o

It would be a concern that without the middle exhaust hanger, added stress and leverage on the header mounts could increase the chance of cracking there.

Bailing wire? ;)

thanks guys- I hadn't placed much value in the bracket since I took out the whole evaporate canister mounting pieces. I completely see what you are referring to with regard to the possible stress on the front pipe headers. I will look into it further and if need be, rivet on (and seal!) an aluminum bracket to limit vertical motion. BTW, the resultant two empty frame holes from the evaporate hardware might make an intetesting lift point if someone were to design a custom V11 lift/jack (just thinking outloud).

If removal of the bracket doesn't work out, last time I looked there was one on the 'bay @ £45 (GBP). I've got one spare with a rattle (a piece of mesh loose inside - works better that way, honest Guv) but it would cost a load to ship to you from Blighty, more than the value of the item itself.

Earlier evap cans were mounted elsewhere. They are not the main purpose of the bracket. It is the primary exhaust hanger.

I tried to photograph mine and couldn't come up with a good image. I would be finding a TIG guy to button it back on.

I suppose all the aftermarket cross-overs (Stucchi, Mistral, etc) delete the carrier as well [?] , so maybe it's no big deal.

Thanks again guys for your input on the crossover box. Before I get a friend to TIG the part back on (I cut it really clean, should be easy) I am going to experiment with my own hanger system. I really want to avoid reinstalling that heavy mess of an evaporate bracket if possible. Andy, in the states (especially California) a fuel vapor catch system has to be installed on all petrol powered motorcycles & cars. It's basically a plastic box with activated charcoal and stuffing that re-circs and traps the vaperous gasoline so it doesn't leak into the atmosphere. I've removed it on every bike I've owned as it is not against the law in my state. It's only a problem if an authorized dealer does it.

One of the first things I did when I got my LeMans was to remove the evap can/bracket I've only had it for a few thousand miles but, besides losing an endcap bolt seems to be holding up fine.

I'm thinking that there's plenty of support for the crossover via the headers and the mufflers, and your practical experience is some good data for me. I will still experiment with some kind of hanger, I bought plenty of aluminium stock from Home Depot to play with.

Come to think of it, one of the two lower hanger rods for my Norge snapped off as well, something I noticed when I first got the bike home. Still seems to be a good amount of support available...but things change when you heat them up, and then drive over bumps!

That is an awful, ugly mess. Mine was in the tool tray behind the battery. I pulled out twenty feet (I kid you not) of 1/2 inch fuel line. The mess weighed five pounds.

Won't the ugly part unbolt and leave the U-shaped hanger?

DSCN0893.JPG

Also forgot to mention the other day:

OEM single aluminium sleeved LaFranconi muffler (no bracket) = 9.8 lbs/4.45 kg

OEM single carbon fiber sleeved LaFranconi muffler (no bracket) = 8.5 lbs/3.86 kg

So there's some weight savings, but they are still basically boat anchors either way. I just got them for the carbon fiber looks. If I can get the Coppa tank as planned, I think I am going to call this bike the "Carbon Coppa" LOL  :helmet:

i know the fast by ferracci crossover doesn't utilize the  mount. i purchased one way back when, never installed it.

still in the box FBF sent it in, somewhere in the shop, complete with the clamps.

probably be for sale if i ever see it again.

cheers, steve.