2003 V11 Sport Naked - serial number one?

chamberlin

Thanks man! Yea, to be honest, the Cafe Sport tank color is a 'touch' subdued for my liking, but it's growing on me. I could have gotton a slightly lighter grey tank from my Italy contact; it was new but scratched slightly, so I held out for the perfect condition tank... I never saw a picture of it until it arrived. He told me it was "grey" in general terms, so I figured it had to be either my original dark gunmetal grey, or the straight grey (like on your bike?).  Oh well, I've now got a new fuel pump assembly coming, and I should have this pig fired up in a few weeks! Time to wrap it up! (just in time for monsoon season :(  )

Fantastic shot of your V11 LeMans BTW!

Chinese knock-off Rizoma fluid reservoirs... they're built fairly well, but they are painted black (not anodized), which could mean that they are pot metal and not aluminium (nah, they gotta be aluminium)

The mounting arms are very versatile, but quite hoky... I think some thread lock is in order here, as the Guzzi V-twin is going to shake them to hell!

The clear reservoir area appears to be some kind of thick clear plastic. Well at least if they fail/leak, I should be able to clearly see the presence (or lack of presence) of my DOT4 in time!

2014-06-15153352_zpsac851a46.jpg
2014-06-15153326_zps5deaed12.jpg
2014-06-15153302_zpse6226dfa.jpg
2014-06-15153219_zpsd0e61c2b.jpg
2014-06-15153119_zps17ec148b.jpg

Original late style (I think?) V11 Sport emblems arrived from Italy:

2014-06-14115719_zpsbb48a69d.jpg
2014-06-14120044_zps4763dd24.jpg

OK well now I've done it:

a48380-5-2jpg_t_1402413865_zps696e8241.j
a48316-1-2jpg_t_1401895403_zpsb69cb5a6.j

Teo Lamers should be shipping these out to me, along with a carbon rear fender next week. I just couldn't pass up an opportunity to put some golden legs on this never-ending (and

bottomless money pit) V-11 resto!

These forks came off a Le Mans Rosso Corsa with about 80,000 km's on the clock, so I am planning on having them rebuilt. Should I send them to:

http://www.ohlinsusa.com/ohlins-usa-service or http://www.computrackboston.com/default.asp or ??? With as much money as these damn things cost, I really don't want to try to rebuild them myself.

But here are the important questions.... I think I did my homework, but can you guys verify that these particular Ohlins will fit my existing triple clamps, and will my Brembo gold brakes mount straight up

to these radial mounting blocks without any issues? Howa bout the new style hollow axle on my Sport? Any issues that you see?

My bike has the later style (and freshly rebuilt! Arrrrgg) 43mm Marzocchi forks, and the triple clamps appear identical from the Ohlins photos (the forks will come with the original triple clamps BTW).

I think the brakes will mount right up too, but I am really concerned that my front axle isn't going to work... Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks Docc, I will check them out too, they are much closer than the two places I found. :grin:

Honestly, I am not too concerned with the clamps and brakes, since I will be getting the clamps with the forks, and I am pretty sure the V11's fitted with either Marzocchi's or Ohlins used the same brake discs and same Brembo Golds.

But I may be in for some fun trying to figure out which axle to get, and then I might also have to change the wheel bearings and spacers too?

I'm pouring over the '03 Le Mans Rosso Corsa parts guide now, but it's a bit of a mess for me to figure out. I've also asked Teo Lamers if they can sell me the spindle off the Le Mans that the forks came from...

2003RossoCorsaFrontWheelAssembly_zpsf22f

The Öhlins will fit in the existing triple tee. Front axle: Ducati 999 will fit.

Thanks Jaap! I just received an email from TLM this morning, and they are sending me the original axle at no extra charge... now I just have to worry about the bearings/spacers in my wheel working with this new axle. Hopefully I can just buy new bearings without much fuss if needed....but they do have the original front wheel available too!

Actually i am sure the won't fit

OK well that sucks! Both bikes use Brembo Gold calipers, so I assume that is only the bolt pattern that is different? I wonder if there are any other considerations? I will research the part number diagrams tonight and see if I can source a set of calipers... one thing leads to another!!! Damn, just bled the brakes too!

Gheezh, how did I miss that - bad assumptions on my part! I throught all Öhlins bikes would also have radial mounted brakes too... So I suppose I have two options:

1) find the appropriate radially mountable Brembos calipers (anything else to worry about other than the caliper mounting)

2) find the standard non-radial mount lower ends for the Öhlins forks (is it even possible to change the bottom ends?)

Both options probably won't be cheap. Option 1 at least gets me the 'cooler' radial mounted brakes. Option 2 makes the install of the Öhlins *much* easier once they'rerebuilt.