2003 V11 Sport Naked - serial number one?

chamberlin

In addition to the full length video above, I also have a shorter video, that shows the bike's first start-up. You can also see how long it takes for the SpeedHut GPS signal to lock-on once the engine gets started. No music in this one, just Moto Goodness! Again, this is also unlisted, just for you guys.

http://youtu.be/ssChZUKYc8I

Thanks Docc, I got to hear almost 7grand today, when I went for a short 20 mile ride. It does sound really nice! It's too bad the helmet blocks most of the bike's song!

Battery light? Am I missing something on my gauge cluster? Or are there no battery lights on the newer +'03 bikes? I've got L turn, R turn, Hi-beam, oil, neutral and low gas lights, but no battery/charging light that I can see...

Some other things I noted on my ride...

1) It has an occasional mild back fire on what seems to be the right side...It seems to be, that whenever I do a high RPM run through the gears, then I slow down or stop, and then begin to accelerate slowly again (i.e. normal pace) I get the backfire and power loss (for 1 stroke). I don't know if it's happening as a backfire (intake side) or after-fire (exhaust side).

I'm going to assume for now, that it's not a fuel pressure issue, since that stuff is all brand new. The bike's probably never been tuned with regard to the valve lash, TPS, and TB syncing. Plus, it now has a new crossover pipe and giant K&N air filters...lots of variables.

2) This motor's got quite a good shake around 3K...I had to install some padding on the new front turn signals, which are just barely touching the front carbon fiber bikini...they were making a hell of a racket when at just the right RPMs!

3) It was really hot and humid out today, and the bike really seemed to be running hot too.. I felt bad for it! I think I'm going to get one of those dipstick thermometers...any luck with those?

4) Looks like all the fluids are staying where they're supposed to! Only areas of note were a very minor weeping of oil around the front timing chest seam, and some that appears to be weeping out of the crank position sensor seam.

5) As I stated in the videos, the tranny shifts quite nicely and positively...I did notice however, there was an occasional 'kickback' on the shift lever when going into third gear if I rushed it. Hopefully that's just a matter of me re-programming my brain to delay shifting by a few ticks, and not an indication of a problem.

6) The riding position is pretty good for clip-ons (since I have the Jean Marc raised bars), but it's still gonna take some getting used to for my back and wrists, as compared to my other bikes. But I'll just drown out the pains with the sounds of Guzzi!

7) The SpeedHuts speedos are cool!!! I didn't realize they had so many options on the LCD...mileage plus time, mileage plus trip, digital speed, 1/4 mile times, 0-60 MPH times, compass direction, and even altitude!

8) The low gas warning light is intermittent...I only have about 2.5 gallons in the tank right now, but the light is on most of the time. Maybe it needs to be filled up to the top at least once when new?

All in all, I am really pleased with the bike, and I think it's just the right balance of power and handling that I've been looking for. The crazy 140 HP Aprilia Tuono I had was just to hi-strung and twitchy, the Aprilia Mana was just too easy, and the Norge is just too big and heavy! The V11 has it all. Comments welcomed!

Sounds like you are going to really like your V11!

The valve lash/TPS/throttle body balance will work wonders! (How many miles on that driveline?)

The SpeedHut are such an excellent solution (Veglia #3 pictured above :(

I wish it would display voltage.

Sounds like you are going to really like your V11!

The valve lash/TPS/throttle body balance will work wonders! (How many miles on that driveline?)

The SpeedHut are such an excellent solution (Veglia #3 pictured above :(

I wish it would display voltage.

Yes indeed Docc! Wish I could have it shipped out there for the Spine Raid! No chance of me driving it to Tennessee though; we'd have other spine related issues to deal with then!

The bike only has about 6500-7000 miles on the motor and drive-line. The ITI speedo crapped out a few months before I bought it from the 2nd owner (who knew the first owner), and I think that's one of the reasons the PO was fed up with the bike...but bottom line, there is relatively low miles on all the spinning parts.

So it looks like I will have to pop the rocker covers again and play with valves, then TPS and then throttle bodies. Sounds like 50% fun 50% PITA to me right now, after this long restoration journey...I guess it's the graduation final exam for a bachelor's in V11 mechanicals :stupid:.  I wish I had a local to help, who has done it before, but I suppose everything I need is right here on the forum! I work for an laboratory instrumentation company, and I happen to have a very nice digital differential pressure gauge I can use to balance the TB's once I get to that point. To me, it looks like nobody has messed with any of the original adjustments... which as we all know, can be a bad thing! I'd really like to get this bike tuned right. It's got plenty of power for me, so I'm not looking for a performance boost...I just want it to last a LONG time, and make sure the factory valve lash isn't set too tight, and verify that nothing's getting harmed in its current state (i.e. to lean, too rich, pinging, etc.).

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic job, the bike turned out beautiful!  Great write up and vids as well, but I have a few questions for you.  

1. Where did you acquire the new Cafe Sport tank?  I have a Cafe Sport and my cat climbed under the cover and scratched up the tank...he's now found a new home.

2. The Aprilia mirrors look so much better than the stock ones.  Do you have a part number for them?

3. The rear carbon fender I believe you said was from Leo Tamers, but I cannot find it on their website.  Do you have a part number?

Thanks,

Tommy

Hello Tommy, thanks for the good words! Keep the questions coming too, I should be able to help you out with your Cafe Sport.

I will PM you the details for the gas tank; I think my buddy in Italy has another Cafe Sport tank available.

The Aprillia mirrors are really Piaggio mirrors, and are common on TONS of Italian bikes. I even saw them on motorcycles used in the movie "The November Man" last night!

Here is the guy I get my mirrors from: http://www.ebay.com/usr/moto-science   Henri can get you ANY Italian mirror, no Chinese junk either....he is the man when it comes to mirrors.

Just shoot him a message and tell him what mirrors you want with a picture. He even has versions with integrated turn signal lights. I've put these mirrors on my two Aprilia bikes, as

well as both my Guzzis...they look good for most modern bikes, and don't shake too bad on the Guzzi! Henri will call you up too, and talk bikes - he is a great guy. He works out of California.

Part#: Aprilia 858539 and AP8104921  (left and right)

I did get the rear carbon fender from Teo Lamers in Netherlands, but it was just a random thing they had left over....I don't believe it is in production anymore. All I know is that when I saw it, I had to have it...I hate the black plastic OEM fender (once it gets scratched up that is). I'll keep an eye out for another carbon fender for you.

Thanks for all the info!  I'm gonna order a set of those mirrors.

I hate the stock rear fender as well, so it's gone.  I would like to have something back there though, but have not found anything I like, until I saw the one you got from LT.    

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys! Can't wait to get it installed. I will try to do a weight comparison too... No more worries of the cross-over pipe failing I guess! The package should be here by next weekend, and I am pulling off the "old" exhaust today. Anybody want two nice CF LaFranconi's and brand new FBF crossover? I guess I better wait to see how the QuatD fits and sounds before I ditch the stockers. I have to admit, I've heard it really doesn't sound that great, and even performance wise it isn't really an improvement. However, I really like the visuals of the cleaned up back end, and I am looking forward to getting rid of the exhaust hangers/rear foot pegs too. I'll be sure to make a video for you guys once it's installed.

Thanks from the photo from Italy, I guess that's pretty much what my bike will look like! I like the slant cut on that pipe too.

I do hope I like the grey ceramic coating, because I always had my heart set on that very Italian/racebike looking tarnished stainless metal like in the photo above. I suppose mine will never have any cosmetic issues though, as it has a full professional ceramic coating from Performance Coatings in Auburn, WA. http://www.performancecoatings.com/index2.html