Best aftermarket exhaust systems?

sp838

Part of my to-do list for this winter is upgrading the exhaust on my '01 v11 sport. I'm curious to know what people think is the best complete exhaust system for the bike. I did look at the article in the FAQ, unfortunately it's just a list of manufacturers and many of the links are now dead, including the most important one which was a comparison of the Mistral and Stucchi crossovers. Some of the manufacturers listed don't seem to offer products for Guzzi anymore, such as BOS who don't have Guzzi listed as an option in their products lineup page.

I'm interested in both reducing weight and increasing the performance of the engine. Also a consideration is a system that I can "grow into", meaning, one that would still be appropriate should I ever decide to undertake any engine performance mods.

I really like the look of the Mistral reverse cone mufflers. However I was told by someone that the build quality of the Mistral product isn't that great. Is this true or is it b.s.?

Bruno from Ghezzi-Brian recommended a stainless and titanium or carbon fiber system by Mass Moto. Guzzi Tech has a set of mufflers which are made to order. I've also come across a couple other manufacturers in my searching... So in short, there are quite a few options out there to choose from, and I'm hoping that the community here can help guide me towards the best choice in terms of performance, weight reduction, and least important but still a consideration, styling.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Run Mistrals on my Scura and they are good (and loud). Have had no issues with build quality so I can highly recommend them. Agostini sells them. 

I would start with the canisters you like the looks of. They all sound great next to the stock LaFranconi cans and weigh probably five pounds less per side. Then you can add the crossover of your choice. Good thread there by Greg Field on cross-over comparisons. No reason to change the headpipes.

I don't like the look of any of the canisters so went with the reverse cones, I'm very happy with them even if they don't sound as deep as some cans.. sounding a little like a formula 1 race car (not Nascar).  build quality seems very good to me.. when I went with the Mistral cross over it was said to be better performing in the lower rev range and the Stucci supposedly better top end. 

IMG_1827_zpsb0a5ba5d.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks guys! That thread is very helpful. Sounds like the Mistral is the way to go for me, I do a lot of city riding, and when on the highway I need to be able to deal with accelerating in traffic, i.e. lots of downshifting and digging into the lower rpm. I assume the fueling remapping will be necessary with a power commander, and well documented for the Mistral products.

Don't count on "remapping" or absolutely needing a PC. Many would say the factory mapping was more fit for the free flowing exhaust to begin with.

Do plan on a complete, meticulous tune-up. You're gonna love the way this changes the V11 character!

• Like 1

This is very nice to know! I guess there's nothing holding me back now. Is it safe to say that all mufflers will work more or less the same with the Mistral crossover? I was under the impression that different mufflers had different performance implications. Is it really all about the crossover?

The impression I'm getting is that mufflers just offer different degrees of sound dampening, and consequently come in at different weights, based on the amount of internal baffles and materials used (cf vs. ss vs. ti. vs al etc.) Am I mistaken?

I thought the muffler also affected back pressure and the overall breathing of the engine, hence performance...

Also nice to know I don't need a PC, at least not initially.

Thanks again, you guys are awesome.

Huh, is that really the case? Not that I'm doubting you, specifically, but I wonder what others might think about that...

The crossover is first on my list then. I'm torn between the Mistral reverse cones and those MIVVs. I really like how small they are. Never been a huge fan of carbon fiber, from an aesthetic standpoint. Functionally it may be great at reducing weight, I just prefer the look of metal.

Would love to hear what everyone else thinks re: performance benefits/demerits of aftermarket mufflers.

yes at least get the crossover, it is the weak spot in stock set up. it fixed a hickup/cough I was having around 3200 rpm.. after that I added the reverse cones, probably cut 20 pounds of the bike.