V11 LeMans Tanks removal

DarenB68

Honestly I have searched the forum, but have really only seen threads on tank removal of naked V11s. I need to know if its necessary to remove the fairing in order to remove the tank on my 04 LeMans. I am having starting issues and need to get to the bullet connectors under the tank to re-crimp.

Thanks and agian sorry if this has already been posted somewhere.

My bike is a naked Sport so I can't answer the ? .

It might be in your best interest to replace them with insulated spade connectors to make sure you never have this problem.

Honestly I have searched the forum, but have really only seen threads on tank removal of naked V11s. I need to know if its necessary to remove the fairing in order to remove the tank on my 04 LeMans. I am having starting issues and need to get to the bullet connectors under the tank to re-crimp.

Darren, in short, no, you don't need to remove the fairing to take the tank off.

One bolt in the back, an electrical plug for the fuel pump, the fuel supply and return lines (search for how to push/pull the collars to separate from the fitting) and your tank cap vent hose and off it comes.

Darren, in short, no, you don't need to remove the fairing to take the tank off.

One bolt in the back, an electrical plug for the fuel pump, the fuel supply and return lines (search for how to push/pull the collars to separate from the fitting) and your tank cap vent hose and off it comes.

Perfect, Cheers

Wait till you try to get the tank back in!

I have a naked V11 too. My tank would get hung up on the rear bodywork, more when I try to get the tank back in, than when taking it out. I loosen the retaining bolts toward the front of the rear bodywork/cowling so I can wiggle it around as I wobble the tank back in.

Don't forget to reconnect the two tank vent lines! I have to do them when the front of the tank is already in place, with one hand holding up the rear of the tank and one hand fiddling around underneath.

Switching to a manual petcock, and shortening the fuel line a little helps clean up underneath, avoiding snags (I have an external fuel pump).

Once you do it a couple of times, it gets easier. The first time, though, it seemed like the tank could not possibly go back on (I think this is where some of the stories of "ethanol induced tank swelling" come from).

But it does........ 

daren, prob be good PM to replace the crankcase breather-to-frame hose while the tank's off if you haven't yet. they tend to go to hell. 

i've been putting off removing the tank, i've been trying to get my manual fuel shut off unstuck for years, guess i'll just have to run the bike out of fuel & dive in.

and i've had a new shut off, breather hose, fuel filter, air filter blah, blah...in a box for about a year.

and the bullet connectors, part of my start up drill is to turn the bars to the right. if nothing else it's good theft protection.

good to see another local V11. i'm about 50mi north in castle rock.

cheers, steve

You can remove tank without removing the fairing.  I had to remove the two screws at the end of the fairing nearest to the seat so I could spread the fairing, otherwise the back of the tank wouldn't lift up.

Once you've disconnected the fuel level sensor, gas and vent lines, the best way to remove the tank is to lift the rear, slide it backward so it clears the frame bumpers that hold the front of the tank in place, lift the front of the tank above the bumpers, then slide it forward before lifting it up.  If you don't do it this way the FP regulator and petcock will hang up on the airbox. 

My tank is off on my Naked now (2003: no petcock, and internal fuel pump, and I capped off one of the tank breather nipples), but my local mechanic has the bike right now getting the front forks re-done. He said since I kind of busted one the grey snap plugs on one of the gas lines, that I should get two new sets of red nipples and new mating grey snap connectors. I've never seen these for sale on any Guzzi parts web site? I am fairly certain that the original connectors are going to snap on securly and be fine, but if I did replace them, where in the heck am I going to find them? Can you actually replace the red 90 deg nipples anyways? (although they seem fine)? What are our options on better quick disconnects for these V11s? Those quick connects really suck to figure out the first time! Make sure to depressurize, and don't be tempted to use any tools to mangle them! I got my Norge one off in seconds, kind of a pushing and pulling action at the same time...

• Like 1

Strongly recommend you replace the plastic fuel fittings with metal (at least the one on the inside). My bike was done when I got her so  I can't say where it cam from (looks solid) but a quick search should turn up some after market BMW fittings which should suffice.

Strongly recommend you replace the plastic fuel fittings with metal (at least the one on the inside). My bike was done when I got her so  I can't say where it cam from (looks solid) but a quick search should turn up some after market BMW fittings which should suffice.

Thanks much, I will look into the BMW fittings....I would really like to  get a nice and easy quick release system going, as everything else about the bike is so easy to work on (especially with the airbox removed).

• 1 month later...

:race: I used these:http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cpcqkdiscon.html. I know they are expensive but the frustration they save is worth it to me. Plumbed them into the existing fuel lines so I NEVER have to f*ck with those plastic connectors again. I hate those things. I'm always afraid I'm gonna break one off ! Good luck. :thumbsup:    :mg:  :oldgit: