Naked Norge Project

chamberlin

Hello all, I figured while the V11 is in the shop getting new fork seals, I'd have a little time to start documenting my Naked Norge project.

I just got the Norge a few weeks ago, and whenever I get a new (used) car, bike, whatever, I like to familiarize myself with it by dismantling everything and seeing what "POS's" I can find....POS = "Previous Owner Secrets". On the Norge, I didn't expect too many surprises, as the bike is a 2007 but wasn't sold until late 2010...I actually sat on the bike in the showroom years earlier while having one of my Aprilias serviced...Regardless, the PO still managed to rack up 25,000 miles in the 3 years of ownership. He had taken most of the side and lower plastics off on day one, I had planned to re-install everything back to stock:

norge1200_zpsafd3ee5a.jpeg

But alas, I started to find some niggles that got me tearing into the bike deeper and deeper. The front turn signals were corroding from within (bad chrome job) and were 'glued' to the fairing holes with some weird epoxy...bleh. Half-assed removal of evap canister system (all hoses still in place), taped up micro contact switch on clutch, broken crossover pipe mounting hanger, corroded battery, too much lube everywhere, sticky velcro on the dash from GPS units, blown valve cover gasket on left cylinder (yup the usual exhaust valve side leak), worn down grips (how the heck?), just general things like that. Gaining access to the wiring and engine in general is a pain on the Norge, just because of all the tupperware you have to remove...and also, why hide the beautiful 1200 twin and transmission!??? That's why I bought a Guzzi afterall! Further, the digital dash is way to vertical and low, making quick glances pointless. I also didn't like how the gauges were fixed to the fairing and did not rotate with steering head movement. Maybe I should have just got a 1200 Sport? Well I didn't really know much about that bike back then, and of course, part of the reason I got this bike was so my wife and I could do a little bit of touring all bagged up...and this bike came with MG side panniers and an aftermarket Givi top box. Wife was happy!

So, even though I was planning to re-plastic-ify the bike, I now had a new mission, to strip the plastics! One thing let to another, and I ended up cutting down the main central fairing's winglets, and the mating black insert. I also fabricated up a new mount for the gauge pod with some aluminium pieces, and although very strong and sturdy, totally ghetto. I just got a 1200 Sport gauge bracket off eBay, and it looks like it is going to work, only with some slight modification...the gauges fit exactly into the rubber isolators thankfully. As far as the windscreen goes, I need to find a suitable tinted plexi piece to affix directly to the fairing, a-la sport bike style. Haven't had any luck finding one yet.

Any help here would be appreciated. I've got various measurement photos (I posted one below). I've also added some modern Piaggio/Aprilia mirrors for both the Norge and the V11. I've had good luck with them...and I am not a fan of the chrome mirrors on the Norge (don't like chrome in general).

BTW, I love riding this bike as a naked....BTW, I don't think the 1200 Sport has ABS like the Norge, although the Norge I think has taller gears, which is fine by me. I'm currently checking with pinwall parts to see if they have an extra set of 1200 Sport side scoops to screw onto my Norge tank...I think that's the only area that's going to look hokey if I don't put something there. Opinions welcomed, hopefully there aren't any Norge 'purists' around! LOL

On with the pics!

IMAG0890_zps4bc4ce81.jpg
IMAG0891_zpsf80265e3.jpg
IMAG0892_zps6ce5f717.jpg
IMAG0893_zpsf435415f.jpg
2013-11-10185710_zpsd4a59aa7.jpg
IMAG0904_zps4f771263.jpg
2013-11-25200921_zpsb86b308c.jpg
2013-11-25200947_zps52367199.jpg
2013-11-25203446_zps75d80de9.jpg
2013-11-25203550_zps18d7bbcd.jpg

Not what I would do but I like where you are going with the half fairing.

I always like seeing people who are not afraid to take something and make it different.

• Like 1

Once you put the fairing clip back on, I'm digging it! I think a sport height windshield will look sweet, in a dark smoke.

From what I've read the company Gustafsson will do custom stuff.

I would go with a set of bar end mirrors.

Maybe paint the tank area above the cylinder head (where the fairing edges ran) satin or flat black so that area would sort of "disappear" to the eye.

Keep us posted!

Thanks for the feedback fellas!

Much appreciated on the tips about Gustafsson, that's exactly what I'm going for, a sport shaped wind deflector in dark smoke.

Not sure I can do end-bar mirrors though, got too much $$ wrapped up in the Aprilia mirrors already, and I will still tour with my wife/panniers occasionally, and for safety's sake, I'm just too used to "antenna style" mirrors.

Good call on the flat black paint to disguise the tank cut-out...I'm still looking for some 1200 Sport tank adornments, which should bolt right in...but they do have a big splash of chrome on them (yuk).

More to come once I figure out how to mount the 1200 sport gauge bracket this weekend!

• 3 months later...

OK Finally another Naked Norge update! Got a rare V11 LeMans replacement windscreen from a member here (thanks Keith!), and it is now installed on the Norge. Wasn't getting any cooperation from any of the screen mfg's that I spoke to on making a custom one for my bike, hence the crazy gamble of using this MRA windscreen. It works quite well actually, but it certainly ended up a lot taller than I thought it was going to be. I also got some Breva side scoops, which are being painted silver right now. I have some factory OEM "Norge 1200" decals coming from Italy now, and I will apply those to the side scoops before final clear coat is sprayed. The reason I have 4 scoops, is that I bought a brand new set and chrome finishers (from 3 different sources $$$) and then literally the day after I received them, I found a used set complete, so I had to buy them too (they were cheap!). I'll sell off the new ones if my paint job doesn't come out well enough on the used ones.

2014-03-09112536_zpsc46fadfc.jpg

2014-03-09112502_zps739fa1ec.jpg

2014-03-09112430_zps8cc72f83.jpg

2014-03-09112411_zpsfafa78bc.jpg

2014-02-16111416_zps7ef5304e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is looking great! What else do you have planned? Only thing I would suggest would be a sleeker front fender maybe... Congratulations on the conversion, it's so clean it looks like it came from the factory that way!

very clean looking conversion, you've done a good job.

you mentioned that the MRA screen is taller than you thought it'd be.

i have one on my Le Mans, it was so much noisier than the stock screen (guess i need clean air)  ended up using a 4" grinder with a sanding disc & shaping  it almost back to stock height. then draw filing edges smooth, works (& looks) great. just a thought.

keep up the good work

This is looking great! What else do you have planned? Only thing I would suggest would be a sleeker front fender maybe... Congratulations on the conversion, it's so clean it looks like it came from the factory that way!

Thanks very much! Tell me more about a sleeker fender- I hadn't ever considered any changes to that....although I really want to clean up the rear fender area; but it's not practical if we're still going to attach the panniers and tour a little bit....there are some rear fender mounted support arms that steady the panniers when attached.

very clean looking conversion, you've done a good job.

you mentioned that the MRA screen is taller than you thought it'd be.

i have one on my Le Mans, it was so much noisier than the stock screen (guess i need clean air) ended up using a 4" grinder with a sanding disc & shaping it almost back to stock height. then draw filing edges smooth, works (& looks) great. just a thought.

keep up the good work

Thanks you also for your good words! Actually I do also notice more wind buffeting with this windscreen, although it did remove the squealing that my Shoei RF1200 was creating without the screen in place. But the buffeting is slightly more annoying and certainly more damaging to the ears. I did not think that this screen would be able to be modified by cutting! Can you explain further how the edge trim is finalized after cutting away the un-needed area?