timing cover leak but what else?

czakky

I just did this job. Mine started leaking a few years ago just before leaving on a weekend trip. The paper gasket was pushing out on the right side. I plucked out the piece of broken gasket and injected some silicone sealer in the gap. It lasted until this past summer. The replacement metal gasket should be the fix.

Listen to Luhbo. Only use quality tools. Your days of rounding out fasteners will be over.

Preliminary results might have been inconclusive.... Looks like my gasket might actually be holding! Which is good. But, Emry was pretty sure I had screwed up my first crank seal.

Get two cranks seals. You have already screwed up the installed one, you might not get the first replacement, just... right... so that way you have another available while the process is fresh in your head. Saves you a bit of waiting for the mail. 

Took off the alternator cover after I've put around 300 miles and it doesn't seem to be leaking...

Should I stop being lazy and just fix it? Or have the gods smiled on me and given me a pass?

If it isn't leaking don't touch it. No sense in tempting fate. When I nicked my seal doing the front cover the leak was quickly apparent. Didn't even have to ride it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With a fresh seal it is possible to replace without removing the timing cover. Which only makes it slightly easier. But it's in.

This is the front crank seal behind the stator? How did you do t?

Yessir, that seal. A 90 degree pick and side cutters. Glad to have it out too, because the thin spring looking ring from the lip of the seal had detached and could've wreaked havoc back there.

I don't know if an old seal would have come out so easy but this one is a couple months and 1k or so miles old.