Stelvio '09 - crankshaft position sensor leak

vrybl

I am new to Moto Guzzi and to this forum.  I am thinking of buying Stelvio '09 that has a leak, according to the guy selling the bike it is crankshaft position sensor leaking.  Can someone shed light on the difficulty of DIY repair and any useful tidbits, photos, parts, cost, etc.  Is this a common problem for this bike?

Much Thanks,

V+

vrybl,

I suspect the crank sensor is just like the one on the V11 and certainly can leak. There is an O-ring that is easy to replace, yet mine continued to leak though the wire which I sealed with JBWeld as shown in this thread.

There are a couple other leak sources in that area that are more difficult to remedy, so it would be good to be certain the leak is simply from the sensor (easy fix).

The CPS lives just forward of the LH cylinder at the top of the timing chest. On the Nuovo Hi-Cams they can be a bit fiddly to get to because of the exhaust header, bodywork or frame tube. I can't offhand remember how difficult it is on the Stelvio but it is neither a difficult or time consuming task.

Be aware that the depth to which the sensor is installed is controlled by shims. Make sure that when you remove it you either remove the shim with it or make sure it remains installed on the case or sensor. As for sealing it? A thin smear of silicone RTV usually does the job around the sensor plate before re-installation.

If you look at this picture while the sensor is not installed its location can be seen in the top left, (As perceived when sitting on the bike so top right in the picture.) of the timing chest. The hole in the outer edge of the dummy-shaft gear is adjacent to it.

8590258787_7c012bca40.jpg

Pete

From the images, it looks like the triangular body panel (that houses the turn signal on euro versions) would need to come off. As Pete says, the sensor is then in back of the frame rail and behind the header. That makes it sound awful, but you ought to be able to see it clearly even looking up under the body panel. Sorry I don't have a Stelvio sitting here to get real look. 

I'll ask motowfo . . .

He says,  "It appears to be a straight shot with a long allen,  Top left as Pete said and it doesn't appear that anything needs to be removed to get to it. "

From the images, it looks like the triangular body panel (that houses the turn signal on euro versions) would need to come off. As Pete says, the sensor is then in back of the frame rail and behind the header. That makes it sound awful, but you ought to be able to see it clearly even looking up under the body panel. Sorry I don't have a Stelvio sitting here to get real look. 

I'll ask motowfo . . .

He says,  "It appears to be a straight shot with a long allen,  Top left as Pete said and it doesn't appear that anything needs to be removed to get to it. "

Timing%20Sensor-L.jpg

Someday I may decide to clean my bike! NOT!!