Sign in to follow this  
Bjorn

Rear drive needle bearing and swing arm restoration

Removed my swing arm bearings in less than a minute. Not sure what all the fuss was about! Slide puller with one "L" shaped hook behind the bearing. Maybe I am just lucky :-)

IMG_0538.jpg

28 minutes ago, pete roper said:

You were lucky😂

I didn't want to say that Pete. No way would mine come out with a slide hammer only.

Ciao

The first one I did needed a bloody gas-axe! It was on an 1100 Sport C that appeared to have been assembled in a very damp salt mine....:bbblll::D

5 hours ago, pete roper said:

The first one I did needed a bloody gas-axe! It was on an 1100 Sport C that appeared to have been assembled in a very damp salt mine....:bbblll::D

Glad not to be alone . . .

IMG_2685.JPG

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, Lucky Phil said:

I didn't want to say that Pete. No way would mine come out with a slide hammer only.

Ciao

Unkept couldn't get one out, so I said bring it down, and tackled it with a grin.

I couldn't get it out, either.

I ended up welding up that stupid bearing and jacking it out of there.

My home made tool works really well, truly it does:) But the secret is loading up the bearing and then impacting the bearing housing with a copper hammer or a 2lb hammer with an aluminium block to protect the swingarm. The impact shock is absolutely critical to the operation. The problem with the impact puller is mainly the fact that it's difficult to restrain the arm solidly so the energy from the impact of the slide hammer is all transferred to the bearing. Docc had the theory right but I'm still surprised the webbing wasn't too stretchy.

Ciao

• Like 1

"Recovery" straps would be too stretchy. This was a "tow" strap. They still stretch a little, but not much. It still took heat and quite a lot of slide hammering to free them.

7 hours ago, docc said:

"Recovery" straps would be too stretchy. This was a "tow" strap. They still stretch a little, but not much. It still took heat and quite a lot of slide hammering to free them.

I was trying to avoid heat just for the sake of the finish. Heating is sometimes the only way but it's usually in the last resort category for me. My home made tool solutions works like a charm and you can make the tool for literally $5. You need an internal puller of course but what the hell Guzziisti wouldn't have one of those:)

Ciao 

• Haha 1

Phil, I have virtually every puller known to man, and probably a few not available to aliens! On that Sport C the ONLY thing that eventually moved it was heat, lots and lots of heat! Yes it did for the paint but believe me, if I could of found an alternative I would of been all over it like a rash!:D

I welded a stud in the bore, welded the bearing so it wouldn't turn, and made a steel saddle with a hole in it for the stud to go through. Put a nut on it, and started turning the crank..:helmet: No damage to the swing arm.