'02 V11 Sport 40mm Marzocchi Forks!

The Pilgrim

Hi Dudes, as it says in the title I would like you to share some of your knowledge on the forks on my bike!

I am currently planning an overhaul and would dearly love the Maxton or similar treatment but unfortunately it wont be this year, SO,

I know for sure that I need the top cap for the right leg as the brass adjuster in the middle has had a hard life and is butchered beyond use? Does anyone know where I can get this fixed or replaced?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you all can give me. Oil weight, Amounts etc.

Thanx in advance  Gerry. (The Pilgrim)

Hi Pilgrim according to my manual its 400cc per leg and 10w oil, I recently tried to find some upgrade for the fork springs, I find that there is too much dive as soon as the brakes are applied, and got in touch with Todd at Guzzitech who suggested using 12.5w oil in the compression leg. Having my forks serviced in the next few weeks so will try this. As for spares reboot, gutsibits, teolamers are all good

• Like 1

Not sure where to get any replacement parts.

As for oil, there have been some extensive discussions about this, but the threads are not high quality from a technical standpoint.

Certainly, be sure your springs are specific for your weight and the nature of your riding. Largely, that means some stiffer springs unless you are around 165 pounds in full kit. Springs are cheap and easy to change. Traxxion Dynamics even supplied tubular aluminum spacers that were perfect for my application.

The built-in high speed damping on the Marzocchis is pretty harsh and generally does better with a thinner oil, typically 5 wt. But, it's important to know that one company's 5wt is another's 10wt.  There are some charts in "centiStokes@100˚C" that differentiate the popular oils. If you're interested, I can post a link (if it's still live).

Oil volume is best set by measuring down from the top of the fork versus simply pouring in the prescribed amount by fluid volume. This takes account of the oil that remains in the system and helps prevent the harsh damping that occurs with overfilling. The generally accepted "air gap" is 100mm.

If there are six or eight thousand V11 Sports, there are that many ways to go through this set-up process, but gotta start somewhere! IMO, an improved suspension set-up is the #1 best thing you can do for your V11.

• Like 1

Hi Dudes, as it says in the title I would like you to share some of your knowledge on the forks on my bike!

I am currently planning an overhaul and would dearly love the Maxton or similar treatment but unfortunately it wont be this year, SO,

I know for sure that I need the top cap for the right leg as the brass adjuster in the middle has had a hard life and is butchered beyond use? Does anyone know where I can get this fixed or replaced?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you all can give me. Oil weight, Amounts etc.

Thanx in advance  Gerry. (The Pilgrim)

You're in luck ! I found some fork parts I purchased from Paul or Jaap a few years ago ! PM me and we will work something out .

The built-in high speed damping on the Marzocchis is pretty harsh and generally does better with a thinner oil, typically 5 wt. But, it's important to know that one company's 5wt is another's 10wt.  There are some charts in "centiStokes@100˚C" that differentiate the popular oils. If you're interested, I can post a link (if it's still live).

DOCC I'd like to see that chart if you could post it.

... Springs are cheap and easy to change. Traxxion Dynamics even supplied tubular aluminum spacers that were perfect for my application...

Do you have a source for linear aftermarket springs that would match the Marzocchi legs?

Hubert

I put Traxxion Dynamics springs in my forks but may have tried these if I knew about them at that time:

http://www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=141_144&osCsid=2c716fff3c8519ba07957a0c27ea9d29

On oil height I found that I needed 110mm air gap rather than the 100mm that many start with to get full travel out of my forks once I installed the stiffer springs.  Since it's much easier to add oil instead of removing it once your forks are installed you might want to consider starting at 110mm.  Also note that I and others have seen the oil level drop on one side (compression?) because no matter how much I pumped the leg after adding oil in the shop there was apparently some air still trapped in the cartridge.  I suggest checking your oil heights after a few rides to see if they're still equal.

• Like 1

If you want this , I need to know which side ...

ive got the forks rebuilt, parts courtesy of TlM. I had them ordered before I saw your reply. Sorry.

as said, forks rebuilt using 5w oil and all other standard parts. Wont have any feedback til bike rebuilt and tested.

Watch this space.