V11 for sale online/ Craigslist and all others

chamberlin

21 minutes ago, vtwins4life said:

I have been following them since I bought mine and I would say that $8k is the extreme high end of the market, even with extras. I have seem some pristine low mileage examples go for $6-7k. I've seen enough of them in fact to kick myself until my shins ache for buying a $3500 bargain/beater. 

My honest opinion is that the mileage is too high on yours to support that price. And I'd buy yours (or make a good offer) in a heartbeat if I could get $8k for my greenie. I have even more into it than that, and I'm sure you're taking a loss too given all of those tasty bits.

VT4L

I've followed V11 pricing since they were new. Greenies, silveries, etc are not Rossos or Scuras or Coppas, etc. If you're basing your POV on standard model pricing, then yeah, I'm way out of line. Yes, I know the standard line about all V11s being "special models," but that's not functionally true. (Sorry if that hurts someone's feelings.)

Your point about mileage is interesting. I thought about bikes that way in the eighties, but haven't thought of 25K as "high miles" on a motorcycle in a long, long time. It's not like the engine is going to blow at 30k, and if the overall condition is very good and the bike is well-maintained, how does a—to my mind, relatively low—mileage number factor into your pricing calculations? 

19 minutes ago, 4corsa said:

Having bought and sold many bikes, I can say that it really comes down to how much time you have to sell it.  If you don't need the cash right away, you will eventually get close to $8k for it. I sold my Scura for $7400 with 23k miles two years ago, with virtually no spare parts and just a Carbon Mistral exhaust.  But if you're in a hurry, you may have to lower your expectations a little.

As noted in the ad—and alluded to above—I decided to sell the bike because I can't ride it (very far) due to extensive surgeries in my right leg last summer after being hit by a car. I don't need the cash, and don't have a timeline. But I'm a rider, not a collector, and I hate to have it just sitting in the garage. 

The fact that you sold your Scura for $7,400 two years ago with less stuff would seem to support my price. For comparison, I've sold several very specifically set up Beemers in recent years, at premium prices—but still a bargain for the amount of stuff included. In every case, it was like this: zero activity other than occasional "feedback" on the pricing, and then the right buyer would pop up and immediately snatch up the bike. In one case, three buyers popped up within 12 hours of each other and I wished I'd asked more. :D

I've bought and sold a lot of bikes and cars and guitars and other comparable stuff too. I want to be clear that I'm not approaching this with the Craigslist H-D mentality: "$25k invested!" If I was looking for (or came across) a rare-ish bike for which bodywork was tough to come by, the presence of an additional tank and other stuff would be a big selling point, although some of it (luggage racks, etc) are clearly just nice-to-haves. If someone says to me, "Hey man, I really want that bike, but I don't care about the luggage and the extra tank, but I definitely want the original side covers," I wouldn't point to the price with my middle finger. I'd see if we could work something out, and sell the tank here or on eBay or whatever. I seem to be accumulating a list of people who want some of the parts already anyway. 

And anyway, given that standard "modern negotiation tactics" seem to be for the potential buyer to offer 50% of asking or lower and act as if he's doing the seller a favor, the starting price is almost immaterial anyway. :D

Exactly, it's a matter of finding those handful of buyers. The only thing you have working against you is that 90% of American motorcyclists have no idea what a Guzzi V11 is. Thus, it will probably take longer to find a buyer.  Incidentally, to my surprise, I ended up selling my Scura on eBay to a buyer on the other side of the states.  Spread your net far.

• Like 1

Oh yeah. My 2016 GS went to a guy from Arizona who came up and trailered it back. A few years ago, I sold a '94 E320 Cabriolet on eBay, to a guy from Chicago, who flew out, paid, and drove it to his vacation home in... AZ? Maybe New Mexico? He wanted a clean one for his "relaxation car" or something like that.

I'm definitely noodling on the idea of putting it on eBay to cast a wider net. Also considering BringATrailer.com.

• Like 1

Because of the low production numbers for any V11 Sport compared to most other bikes they all seem rare.

Like it or not the Greenie isn't rare but it's the most iconic and most recognizable V11 Sport, hands down. It's the one that was always displayed in the magazines and any propaganda.

I'm now getting tired of saying this but here it goes, rare does not equal value. Desirability = value. So those limited production run V11s aren't valuable unless they are desirable to someone.

For some reason the most desirable thing about a Guzzi is how it rides and that's the one thing you can't describe to someone unless they have ridden one. That's one of the things that keeps Guzzi from selling more even today.

But there is always the buyer who buys on only one thing, condition. And they will always pay the most.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, swooshdave said:

Because of the low production numbers for any V11 Sport compared to most other bikes they all seem rare.

Like it or not the Greenie isn't rare but it's the most iconic and most recognizable V11 Sport, hands down. It's the one that was always displayed in the magazines and any propaganda.

I'm now getting tired of saying this but here it goes, rare does not equal value. Desirability = value. So those limited production run V11s aren't valuable unless they are desirable to someone.

For some reason the most desirable thing about a Guzzi is how it rides and that's the one thing you can't describe to someone unless they have ridden one. That's one of the things that keeps Guzzi from selling more even today.

But there is always the buyer who buys on only one thing, condition. And they will always pay the most.

We're getting pretty pedantic at this point, but yes, of course, rare doesn't equal desirable—although it is often an inarguable contributor to desirability. No one has said it does. The comments here and on other forums—not to mention at this year's Quail—both on this bike I'm selling and on the "rarer" V11s in general have more than established desirability, so man-to-mansplaining about rarity vs. value is kinda moot, eh?

But this isn't about rarity compared to other bikes anyway, it's about rarity (and yes, desirability) compared to other V11s. I can probably fire up my truck and pick up three to five standard V11s in the next week or so if I roam a bit; finding a single Rosso, Coppa, Scura—all rarer and desirable—will be unlikely to impossible. 

Some greenie owners may want to believe that their bikes are the quintessential V11, but what you say about "propaganda" and magazines is simply untrue. The "special models" got tons of ink, and I have several brochures in my office that prove the exact opposite of the green bikes being the sole focus of Guzzi's marketing materials. I shopped for these bikes new, back in the day. You can check out eBay for a glimpse of the array of marketing assets employed by Guzzi, then Aprilia. 

If you understand motorcycle marketing (I'm an "industry guy" and a marketing consultant) you know the very existence of the Rosso Mandello, Scura, Coppa Italia, etc, is the same blueprint that Ducati and MV Agusta use with their special models. It's solely about creating desirability, and usually successful—at least for the Italians, though in recent years, Triumph has had some success this too. 

Anyway, I expected this sort of "feedback," and this conversation has been had many times before, and apparently will keep on being a standard fixture of motorcycle forums. I think I've said more than enough at this point. Cheers. 

• Like 1

All V11 Sports and Lemans are beautiful, even the ones sold new in primer.  Greenies are the prettiest, no doubt fastest.  :helmet:

This Rosso is a pretty bike with lots of stuff with it, even though it's no Greenie.  :mg:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, LowRyter said:

All V11 Sports and Lemans are beautiful, even the ones sold new in primer.  Greenies are the prettiest, no doubt fastest.  :helmet:

This Rosso is a pretty bike with lots of stuff with it, even though it's no Greenie.  :mg:

I would like to like and LOL at this post, but since I can only do one, I'm forced to do this: :D:P:DB):bike:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LowRyter said:

...and I'm still in the market for a lower mileage '03 or '04 black LeMans or Nero Corsa, should anyone have any leads!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 4corsa said:

Exactly, it's a matter of finding those handful of buyers. Incidentally, to my surprise, I ended up selling my Scura on eBay to a buyer on the other side of the states.  Spread your net far.

Arizona to be precise.  And yea, I know I overpaid, much to 4corsa's benefit.  But what is the cost of LUST.  Haven't regretted it one bit.  Riding the Devil's Highway Friday on the way to New Mexico Guzzi rally in Datil, NM.  I'll be laughing all the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Arizona to be precise.  And yea, I know I overpaid, much to 4corsa's benefit.  But what is the cost of LUST.  Haven't regretted it one bit.  Riding the Devil's Highway Friday on the way to New Mexico Guzzi rally in Datil, NM.  I'll be laughing all the way.
...I don't think you overpaid at all. Its a great and rare bike with top components, and you can't put a price on that feeling. I've been looking for the right LeMans almost since I sold it to you. I would be happy to pay $7400 for a similar condition Nero Corsa!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
...I don't think you overpaid at all. Its a great and rare bike with top components, and you can't put a price on that feeling. I've been looking for the right LeMans almost since I sold it to you. I would be happy to pay $7400 for a similar condition Nero Corsa!

There is currently a 2004 Coppa Italia for sale on the Guzzi National Owners Club site for $12k. Not that he's likely to get that, but just saying...

• 2 months later...