Yesterday in London

AndyH

There was a tube strike in London yesterday, so in spite of truly extreme shite weather in promise, I agreed with the customer I'd turn up by bike, in whatever state of presentability that involved, just be there.

V11 was not considered an option, as the bevel box had been drained of oil for service and tank and fuel system was totally emptied, etc etc. so I'd have to use the wife's Thruxton.

I got togged up, cargo pack on the back of the Thruxton, pressed start button... nada! Nothing would get the bike started. It had a strong light and good battery, but just wouldn't start, or even click the solenoid.

Gone all Italian on me!

So I filled up the V11 bevel box with EP90, the missus sped out to get me a can of fuel from the local fuel station and I hurriedly fitted and tightened up a few other things and filled up the tank.

The beauty started first time - all Japanese-like (never does that after a lay up)!

It was nice to be back on the V11 again.

At the end of the day, the return journey was through some of the wettest weather I've ridden in for some time. The V11 didn't miss a beat and felt so solid and smooth, that I had every reason to be glad the Thruxton hadn't started (I find it rather twitchy on slippery wet roads).

Back in the garage at home I decided to investigate the starting problem with the Thruxton... no need: it started up straight away!? What da F...? Some kind of plot.

I still don't know what I've learned from all this but kind of glad at how it worked out. Thought I'd share.

• Like 3

I had a Norton Commando that would always play up, until I tried to sell it when it performed perfectly so I hung on to it, A few years later it would piss around so up for sale and again ran perfectly. This went on for fifteen years until I got the message.  I still have the bike forty years later, 

• Like 1

had a Mk.1A commando for many, many years (that i loved dearly despite it's flaws) but it wasn't nearly the bike my '02 Le Mans  (that's never stranded me, knock wood) is.  just my experience, mind you..... i've thought about a thruxton to add to my stable though but i only have room for so many bikes....

Thruxton's OK but as you might have guessed I'm not wild about the handling. A word to the wise tho' if you're thinking of getting one, it is not worth contemplating without a decent exhaust. She was about to sell hers it was so gutless, then got the Triumph-own brand 'not for road use' silencers and decided to keep it.

Thruxton's OK but as you might have guessed I'm not wild about the handling. A word to the wise tho' if you're thinking of getting one, it is not worth contemplating without a decent exhaust. She was about to sell hers it was so gutless, then got the Triumph-own brand 'not for road use' silencers and decided to keep it.

A friend went similar route ... free flow exhaust and ditched the carbs for some conventional carbs. He had a few weeks of tuning nightmares but then found an old school tuner (as was suggested to him at the start by myself and others ....) and suddenly he had a bike that woke right up and was fun to ride!! Before the mods it wasn't much of a match for the V11 but now it is as responsive and holds its own on the open road. in the corners ......? .... not so much.

I bet the kill switch was on  :homer:

My first thought.. but no. The fuel pump priming spun up but the start button did nothing, just caused the fuel pump to spin up again.

Right as rain now.

There are forces beyond our ken... having ruled out human stupidity first of course!

I owned a magically self-repairing Citroen 2CV once. What a great, but really bad car!

Allegedly designed to be able to carry a basket of eggs across a ploughed field without breaking them, that same suspension and knife-narrow wheels offered 'interesting' road holding...

(as in Chinese curse: 'May you live in interesting times')

I used to have a T140e. I know that times have moved on, but I remember taking the switch gear to pieces and being shocked at how crap (and full of water) it was. This was the first bike that I recognized as having moods. I used to talk to it before attempting to start it, pleading with it to be nice. It rarely was. Mind you I used to load it up with tons of luggage and, with girlfriend on the back, regularly ride 400 miles to Cornwall and back without thinking twice. Hammering it all the way. It finally got a little too unreliable so It spent a year in the shed whilst I flirted with a RD350YPVS. One day I pulled it out and it started third kick. Bloody thing.

there's a 2CV near the town i live in. it's really old (how would you know?) or it was imported in pieces, i think they were outlawed in the US years ago, not crashworthy or some such, can't remember. those things are about as funky as it gets, if parked at a store, it always draws a crowd.

• 1 month later...

I also own a Thruxton and echo your sentiments about the handling. The exhaust note gives the Guzzi a run for its money though.