Smoking Appalachians

czakky

As an X-Rock'N'Roller I get my high's from finding roads like that instead of other ways that used to get me in trouble .I always get,.."Yer from New Yerk Citaah!?"."You drove that raahice rocket all tha waay down har!!?"

I've gone there in Mid April.  The temps were fine but did catch rain a couple of times and a forest fire once.  Those dang turkeys walk all over the road too.  Remember to warm up your tires on the Dragon early in the morning there is lots of shade on it and the pavement stays cool.

this road looks great! looks like the pave ends at the NC line, with a do-able gravel road continuing. also looks like a few miles further, at Waterville Rd (paved) a left turn will get you back to I40 and beyond. ever go out that way mz?

thanks for the heads up on 32. ...always lookin'

Two things to be aware of on that road.It ends as an unpaved road going into the National Forest,(I always turn around,although a DS would be fun to explore with)

this road looks great! looks like the pave ends at the NC line, with a do-able gravel road continuing. also looks like a few miles further, at Waterville Rd (paved) a left turn will get you back to I40 and beyond. ever go out that way mz?

thanks for the heads up on 32. ...always lookin'

I did notice how close to 40 it was the first time I found it,but didn't want to take a VFR over unknown road in a remote area .BTW there was a fatal black bear attack at the border at the end of the pavement about a year or so ago.Wouldn't make me think twice about going back up there as the man killed was feeding him by hand.Lot of them up here in the Catskills.Generally skittish without food or cubs in the equation.

• 2 months later...

If all goes as planned..... I will be heading out this upcoming saturday. Giving the old girl a bi-annual bath and low behold my front tire's looking a little worse for wear then I remember?? upon closer inspection I've got a badly deformed tire (left side is much sharper right is rounded) oh well figured I was due for some wheel/steering bearings. Sucks, but what can you do? At least my back tire is new and properly shaped... right? Freakin screw right in the middle of my 75% tread Pirelli!!

Just had to vent a wee bit... Can't blame all of this on Mandello.

Don't despair! More wear on the left side of the front is pretty normal and doesn't mean bearings necessarily.

Expect it to be mighty chilly at those elevations. Along with the fantastic riding!! :race:

I had to take the VFR for a trip last year and we have a member that does changes for cheap,didn't have time to do the change at home so went to him.I do my own changes normally and buy tires online and always get the best deal and he was able to beat it.It's like a one man NASCAR pit crew attacks your bike when you roll into his garage.No BSing,within 5 mins he has your wheel off and braking the bead.Super clean,careful with an expertise unlike most shops.If I lived closer ,I would chuck my HF tire changer and go to him for all my tire changes.

He's in Murphy NC,just south of the Gap.Let me know if you want his info.

Don't despair! More wear on the left side of the front is pretty normal and doesn't mean bearings necessarily.

Expect it to be mighty chilly at those elevations. Along with the fantastic riding!! :race:

Hopefully it doesn't need em. Front wheel seems to have a little play.

Guess I'll see if there's any good ole thick blood left from growing up in the tundra.

Mznyc, that dude sounds like a good buddy to have down there. Few things are better than fresh rubber.

Seems like I might have just gotten something past the filter somehow when I was doing the original maintenance. But yesterday I put some sea-foam in and didn't let the revs fall below 6k for a half tank. I didn't want to jinx myself but so far so good after a couple test runs. Usually sea-foam is my go-to but the very distinct change when hot kinda threw me...

Besides you never want to go on a 2,000 plus mile ride through unfamiliar roads, cold temperatures and in the land of banjo playing creepy kids on a machine that you have total faith in. Right?