Smoking Appalachians

czakky

Expect it to be mighty chilly at those elevations. Along with the fantastic riding!! :race:

Ah,you southern clime riders.Might get below 70! Get the tiny violins out. :grin:

Expect it to be mighty chilly at those elevations. Along with the fantastic riding!! :race:

Ah,you southern clime riders.Might get below 70! Get the tiny violins out. :grin:

:lol: True, that! Although I've never tried using tiny violins to stay warm while riding. ;)

Yet, it's been pretty common to leave these foothills at 80˚F and end up on the Blue Ridge Parkway in the mid-fifties riding through fog. With the wind chill factor, and if you don't have some layers and good gear, "scenic" goes to "sucky" in a few miles.

Then here's czakky coming from the Florida left coast. After I lived there for a while, my blood slowly turned to something like tequila.

Which apparently boils at a pretty low altitude.  :sun:

Will Do. I'm gonna fill you guys in on my rough "plan" before I leave. I say rough because never know how far in any direction I might make it. PM sent Mznyc.

Of course open invitation to anybody from the forum to join me I'm always flexible and always enjoy the roar of another V11 or the like. Anyway more details to come.

Delayed one day but that is par for the course. Looks like I'll be leaving tomorrow morning. My plan is to make it past Augusta,GA by evening time manyana (sunday). I'm riding just on the west border side of SC trying to get some miles under me that first day. Then a short ride over to Pisgah National Forest for a day of splashing in icy rivers and hopefully find out if living this close to the equator has turned me into a little old lady or not. Then it's off for some serious riding, hitting some of these places I've been hearing about Tues.-Wed.: eastern Tenn. west NC working my up through the Appalachians Wed.-Thurs. hopefully making it as far as WV. Now I'll start working my back home with no real route until I get to north GA where I'm running through great riding areas such as Suches (had to do it). Eventually taking a small jaunt through Florida's pan handle back home in time to join my fellow drones.

I very much regret missing this thread from the start.  Focus, Bill, focus.   :wacko: 

And, unfortunately, Kathi and I will be out on the tundra starting Monday for a week -- in a '93 Toy p/u w/o AC PS, or radio.  Long story not worth telling here.  And, yes, my wife is a saint.  ;)

So, can't offer you lodging, meal, or clean bathroom when you are near here.   Sorry.

Anyway, sounds as if you have a fine trip planned --and, really, off the slab north of Atlanta, you can't go wrong along the entire Appalachian spine all the way up to mnyc's backyard and even beyond.

That said, if I may sing the praises of the Old Dominion west of the fall line, especially as a break from the twisties -- nothing wrong with those and we've got 'em -- try SR 42 north from vic. Abington for some grand rolling countryside all the way up to vic. Winchester.  And, take any road off of it for fun of a different kind ... and none Floridian like.  There are many, many, many more all over.  Come back up this way some time.

This starts 1/4 mile from my driveway: http://tinyurl.com/DMVRR-Silerwinder

Best wishes for a fun trip.

Bill

Highlands NC is a great little town to stay for the night if you have the Misses.Looks like it hasnt changed in 75-100 years ,but in a good way and at the intersection of 28,64 and 106.

Ive never heard anybody talk about this road but try to hit it every time im near the Smokies.Docc you know about this,..?

I've ridden this road on the GS and the locals call it the "private Dragon' It's a very technical road which turns to dirt at the NC state line and has little traffic. Most people enter in on the TN side and ride easy to the NC border then turn around and speed things up a bit because visibility is much better in that direction.

You really can't go wrong the riding is fantastic just about everywhere! Just keep in mind the weekends are busy and those main routes like Deals Gap will be crazy. TN 68 is fun, 315, 39, much of 66 to the north of I40,  NC 276, 215 up into Waynesville NC is good. Heck most all of it is good. I did a full day of mixed surface yesterday around Tellico Plains crisscrossing the Cherohala Skyway (which you should do by the way the Cherohala that is).

Highlands is a great town and riding is excellent in that area, you can check out two Blue Ridge Motorcycle campground near Waynesville NC, a good place and I hear War Women Road is a good route from Highlands area back into N GA.  PM when close to the Tail of the Dragon I live about 20 minutes from there and might be able to meet up with you.

Hal

Ridgewood Barbeque in Bluff City TN,pretty much a must stop everytime I'm within a 100 miles.Ridiculously good BBQ!

IMG_2217.jpg