Finally fitted my replacement gauges

earemike

Thanks docc,

I went with the GPS speedo in the end so that was straight forward, placed the sender in the rear hump & she seems to work a treat.

I wanted to wire it nicely but am about to put up a bigger shed so I used the existing wiring connections which kept it simple.

Used the existing tacho pulse/power/earth (yellow/black, red/black?, black) and it was a sinch, so really happy.

Thanks felix.

I'm not sure what you mean foto, I supplied the custom artwork? I could have tried to balance the tacho space better but figured it was too easy to get wrong.

That looks really top notch. I looked at the speed hut gauges  after Kiwi Roy did his. Yours is about what I was going to do 

but I swear I read where the gauges were not water proof. Are yours? That was the reason I did not do it.

I sometimes get caught in a real frog strangler and would hate to ruin the gauges.

Hey Mike! Great looking Veglia replacements! You went the same route that I did, in that you wanted to keep the same general look to the bike, but with modern clocks that actually work! Because the '03+ bikes use the (even crappier) ITI gauges, I went with a black SpeedHut setup. I made my own graphic and worked with the artists at SpeedHut to get the right size/placement to my liking. SpeedHut is great to work with. I hope you had a similar positive experience. Here are the links to the gauge related posts from my bike's restoration project thread:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18247&page=5&do=findComment&comment=194875

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18247&page=6&do=findComment&comment=195235

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18247&page=7&do=findComment&comment=195913

Regarding the wiring, you said "Used the existing tacho pulse/power/earth (yellow/black, red/black?, black) and it was a sinch, so really happy."

Just to confirm, since we are using the yellow tach wire off the Moto Guzzi ECU, my instructions said to place a resistor between it and 12+ power. Did you put that resistor in?

My gauges are all wired up and seem to work, but I can't fire my bike up for another few months until I get the new tank painted etc... so I don't know if the tach is actually working.

What pulse number did you set the tach to, to get the correct RPM?

Joe

That looks really top notch. I looked at the speed hut gauges  after Kiwi Roy did his. Yours is about what I was going to do 

but I swear I read where the gauges were not water proof. Are yours? That was the reason I did not do it.

I sometimes get caught in a real frog strangler and would hate to ruin the gauges.

Yeah you're correct, they say they're not waterproof but if you specify use for a motorcycle they said they add a bead of silicone. I think their website mentions gauge fogging as a possible issue, the silicone used to reduce the chance not stop it. Apart from the fact I'm down under and shouldn't have fogging issues I've occasionally had my tach fog while my old RSV used to for when it saw a cloud! Riding should be fine but if you park in the weather OUCH.

They offer a 5 year warranty with lifetime on the circuit board so I'd be more worried about the inconvenience of the gauge fogging.

Regarding the wiring, you said "Used the existing tacho pulse/power/earth (yellow/black, red/black?, black) and it was a sinch, so really happy."

Just to confirm, since we are using the yellow tach wire off the Moto Guzzi ECU, my instructions said to place a resistor between it and 12+ power. Did you put that resistor in?

My gauges are all wired up and seem to work, but I can't fire my bike up for another few months until I get the new tank painted etc... so I don't know if the tach is actually working.

What pulse number did you set the tach to, to get the correct RPM?

Joe

Oh wow Joe, I hadn't dropped in on your build thread, fantastic!

I like the blue illumination on the gauges, nearly went shift lights myself, they'll be great when she's on the road.

I'll be searching your thread & maybe asking some questions when I reconfigure mine, I slapped in the gauges after the second cable broke but this one needs to come off the road later.

As for the resistor, jesus Joe you gave me a heart attack! I assumed the pick up was fit for purpose. Should ask if the resistor is necessary? If the original and aftermarket tach both take an ECU feed then (in theory) Moto Guzzi should have already protected the ECU from a surge. Then again if the Guzzi tach had a built in resistor I need to get soldering! (Thanks for that!).

Pulse number is 2 to get the correct RPM, that was my first guess as she's a twin with two coil packs (but it turns out that's the setting for the ECU feed too) & the idle and test ride were consistent with the ITI's.

Thanks for the reply and good words Mike!

Yea, I am curious about the resistor too... the booklet mentions that you need it if using an ECU line to feed the SpeedHut signal, but I know it is assuming an automotive ECU...probably not any different than motorcycle's ECU though. Pulse #2 setting it is!

Please keep in touch with any questions/ideas/problems that you encounter. My build thread is getting out of hand :grin: , but it's nice to have it all archived here on the forum. If it can help somebody in any way, it was all worth it! Thanks again for your post on the gauges!