V11 Speedo Cable

simaster

I recently had the speedo cable on my 2003 V11 Sport fail. I ordered a new one from Harper's and noticed the female connectors were two different sizes (on either end, one small, one large).  This leads me to believe I either have the wrong cable or the male connectors (from the speedo or engine) were switched out at some point.  My guess is the former...

Thoughts?

Worst case is that you could just take the new inner metal cable out of the surround and slide it in your old surround. Just make sure you lube it properly. Ideally, you'd want to replace the entire cable with a new one. Be very careful, the threads on the speedo can strip out fairly easily.

Ken

Green Magni fairing? Black and brutal looking naked 1100 Sport?...

Anyway snap a pic and I/we can compare what we have. Label male and female ends.

Bill

My greenie (w/Magni).  How'd you know?

Photo: https://flic.kr/p/myHYM8

In cable 1 (new cable) the female connector (shown) is smaller than the cable 2 (original).

Cable 2 (my original) has two of the same size connectors.

Cable 1 (the new cable) has one size that's the same as the original connector and another smaller (shown).

I had run into you at the ducati dealer the other weekend. The Bald guy who was talking your ear off.... That's me.

On my cable both ends were 20mm O.D. on the knurled part they look like your new cable.

Hi simaster - and fellow green meanie owner!

Just doing this same job (and others) and have some info + pics that might help. Replacement cable part # 1760430 "TRASMISSIONE". Both ends have an id of 15mm - "bellows" end goes to the speedo (via an angle adapter with magni fairing) and the other plain end to the transmission take off (via stock angle) ...

Hope this helps.

Gio

DSC02556.JPG

Now that Jaap has had the forum gremlins removed (there was a chunk of this thread that disappaeared) and further to the question of the upper angle drive (for docc in particular) - here is a pic of the set-up with a Magni fairing as viewed from the left side - the angle screws directly onto the output of the speedo via the knurled nut. I also add some stress relief (large zip tie) about 6 inches from the upper end of the cable to prevent the cable rubbing on the Magni bracket at full lock.

Gio

Speedo - left.jpg

Now that Jaap has had the forum gremlins removed (there was a chunk of this thread that disappaeared) and further to the question of the upper angle drive (for docc in particular) - here is a pic of the set-up with a Magni fairing as viewed from the left side - the angle screws directly onto the output of the speedo via the knurled nut. I also add some stress relief (large zip tie) about 6 inches from the upper end of the cable to prevent the cable rubbing on the Magni bracket at full lock.

Gio

That's weird.  All of my previous posts have disappeared...

Gio, Thank you for the pic and great info.  Is that a 90 degree angle drive? The one I had on previously was 60.

Yes - there was a problem on the forum which is now fixed - a lot of posts were lost ... and yes, the angle is 90 degrees - here is a shot taken from the other (right) side ...

Gio

Speedo-right.jpg

Your angle drive screws onto the early Sport speedometer connection (green arrow) which is actually a 60˚ angle drive with the brass insert and screw collar (blue arrow) removed and bolted to the speedo with a C-collar.

Interesting that your unit is 90˚ and identical construction. It even clearly shows the metal disc (red arrow) that spits out and takes the drive gear with it. It deserves a good dose of metal epoxy like JB Weld.

I wonder if Magni can source a 90˚ unit, can't we find the 60˚ unit outside of Piaggio parts?

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 2.06.45 PM.png

It is part of the evil thread hijacking I have perpetrated. :angry2:

The 60˚ angle drives are found on the early Sports and 2002 LeMans with the white face Veglia gauges. Later black face ITI gauges like simaster's 2003 did away with the angle drives at each end relying instead on a bent metal tubing ends.

At some point (now lost to the cybermist), the question arose about there being two angle drives on the early bikes since the upper angle drive is within the speedometer's housing and not readily visible.

As it stands,Gio's early Sport con Magni looks to have three angle drives - two 60˚ and one 90˚.