I'd venture to say the majority of us have made some kind of change to our exhaust. My son is looking forward to fitting some rumblier cans to his V7 Stone (the Agostinis look nice!!).

At $750-1000 US for a pair of canisters, he asked me why exhaust is so expensive. I had a couple ideas, but really, why is exhaust so expensive? :huh2:

At $750-1000 US for a pair of canisters, he asked me why exhaust is so expensive. I had a couple ideas, but really, why is exhaust so expensive? :huh2:

well... cos they are something we want, suply and demand.

Exhausts cost sfa to build IMO heres two I built in the weekend for a friends Duc... cost NADA, had ya need pay for them well the last megaphone I had built cost 750 for my xn85 turbo.

xc.JPG

• Like 1

You can get such things from deep inside Russia or China nicely made from Titanium or Inox for far less than 20USD. You've to know where to look and then take some hundred pieces. So nothing for a private venture.

You remember the pictures of this special Scura from the Isle of Man? The Titanium Ex-Box was Russia made. Very nice piece.

Hubert

I thinks its indeed a ''question and demand'' story. If you look at universal cans for example some Leovince models, they are a lot less expensive because more are sold. Then there is the connection-pipe, this is usually specific for each model. In other words more Development and testing cost for each model. Combine this with small batch number and the prices go up.

And just like in any other market, you have differance in build quality with all the process that are linked to it. Finally paying for a brand name also seems to be normal... 

But I totally agree that prices seem high compared to the product you get as a customer.

Cost of the raw materials [stainless steel $, titanium $$] are expen$ive, and in a non-production format [Guzzi's "boutique" volumes of production being about the bare minimum for realizing reasonable costs] highly labor-intensive. Man hours cost money, outside of places like India or China [which is why so much production has shifted overseas.]

As a for instance, over on the Pacific Coast Yahoo group, somebody in an FSU country [ukraine maybe?] made a nifty rear rack [Hondaline made a vestigial passenger backrest for the PC800 once, loooong out of production, but never a luggage rack.] Cost was unbelievably reasonable, since his asking price + shipping from overseas would still have put it about 1/2 the cost of what you would expect to pay for a similar item of U.S. manufacture. So, short of rolling your own [& essentially, not charging for your own time], anything like exhausts or racks that's essentially ALL man-hours (plus a certain baseline of materials costs) is going to cost some ducats...