'01 fuel filter flow rate and pressure?

sp838

Anyone know what the flow rate and operating pressure are on the stock fuel filter? Or what the flow rate and pressure demands are for the injection system in general? I am planning on relocating/replacing the stock filter, looking at some compact alternatives, all have different flow rates

Looking at the workshop manual, it states that the injectors and pressure regulator are set to operate at 3bar, which comes out to around 43psi (doesn't really say what the flow rate is).

Would 130gph @75 psi be sufficient? Or should I look at filters with more throughput? I see some that are specifically designed for car fuel systems that have flow rates up to 4000gph, I imagine that's probably much more than necessary.

Associated question: does it matter if the filter is placed BEFORE the pump, as opposed to AFTER as it is now?

When sourcing a filter alternative, I used the specifications in the Owner's Manual for "surface" and "filtering power." I see nothing on flow rate.

surface: 1200 cm2

filtering power:  10 mµ

I found several articles refering to 100 liters per hour

http://www.mgnoc.com/article_external_guzzi_fuel_pumps.html

There is aa good document referring to the early Webber ECU/fuel injection systems, I'm away from my files at the moment I believe the pumps are identical.

I wouldn't mess with the pump /filter order. As it is if the filter plugs off the fuel pump is able to relieve excess pressure through it's internal relief valve, I'm not sure what would happen if it lost suction pressure

Yeah, I saw those specs in the manual as well docc.

Roy, thank you, this is very helpful. You're right, I won't mess with the order of the components. I am going to use the Golan Mini Reusable fuel filter:

http://www.golanproducts.com/filters.html

It has a 10 micron cleanable screen and supposedly passes 6 gallon per minute, so shouldn't present any restriction on the pump. It's smaller too...

With the plastic tank there's not much to block the filter, a metal tank like my 98 EV however rusts when water runs in from the recessed cap. It plugged right off on the way back to BC from Denver shortly after I bought it.

I gave it a backflush, you should have seen the crap that came out, microscopic particles like polishing rouge.