Have I got a Will Creedon chip?

Doug McLaren

Hi everyone. I've just joined this forum after buying a 1998 Sport inj. I've had various round-fin Guzzis over the years but this is my first foray into owning a bike with fuel injection. The bike I've bought only has about 20,000 miles on it so it's in pretty good condition, it does however show the slightly rough running symptoms that I was expecting and in fact was told about by the previous owner. Sometimes takes a couple on prods on the starter button to fire up, it dies at lights on the odd occasion before it gets warm and is a bit rough around the 3,000 revs mark. It also gets about 40mpg (imp). It has the standard airbox and silencers but it does have an aftermarket cross-over.

Anyway, I was just looking at the bike and familiarising myself with it's various bits and pieces, I took the seat off and noticed that the tape had been peeled off the rubber bung on the ECU box so I took the bung off and saw that the chip had a green plastic Dymo label with WPC 12 on it. So, is this likely to be a Will Creedon chip? After all the good things I've read about Wills chips I'd like to try and iron out the little niggles and get the bike running a little bit better.

Now, I'm reasonably competent with the spanners and reasonably confident using software so can anyone suggest what would be the best course of action to take to improve the way the bike runs.

Thanks.

Doug

Hi everyone. I've just joined this forum after buying a 1998 Sport inj. I've had various round-fin Guzzis over the years but this is my first foray into owning a bike with fuel injection. The bike I've bought only has about 20,000 miles on it so it's in pretty good condition, it does however show the slightly rough running symptoms that I was expecting and in fact was told about by the previous owner. Sometimes takes a couple on prods on the starter button to fire up, it dies at lights on the odd occasion before it gets warm and is a bit rough around the 3,000 revs mark. It also gets about 40mpg (imp). It has the standard airbox and silencers but it does have an aftermarket cross-over.

Anyway, I was just looking at the bike and familiarising myself with it's various bits and pieces, I took the seat off and noticed that the tape had been peeled off the rubber bung on the ECU box so I took the bung off and saw that the chip had a green plastic Dymo label with WPC 12 on it. So, is this likely to be a Will Creedon chip? After all the good things I've read about Wills chips I'd like to try and iron out the little niggles and get the bike running a little bit better.

Now, I'm reasonably competent with the spanners and reasonably confident using software so can anyone suggest what would be the best course of action to take to improve the way the bike runs.

Thanks.

Doug

It would in fact appear that you've got a Will Creedon chip in there. Either that or someone w/ a Dymo labeler & an intent to convince folks that the bike is something other than what it really is... ;)

Try doing a tuneup & properly setting the injector bodies, and see how things go from there. Check for air leaks around the [old] intake rubber & loose exhaust connections: those can affect the fuel mix too.

Best o' luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks for that, I was out on it yesterday and thought I heard a bit of a chuffing every now and then from the exhaust so this evening when I came home from work I checked the nuts on the header clamps and sure enough they were loose. When I get a chance I'll squirt some carb cleaner around the intake rubbers while it's running to see if they're drawing any air in. Hopefully it's something as simple as that.

Thanks for that, I was out on it yesterday and thought I heard a bit of a chuffing every now and then from the exhaust so this evening when I came home from work I checked the nuts on the header clamps and sure enough they were loose. When I get a chance I'll squirt some carb cleaner around the intake rubbers while it's running to see if they're drawing any air in. Hopefully it's something as simple as that.

Put some hi-temp anti-seize on the threads for the header clamps: it will help getting the correct torque reading & helps to prevent loosening from the 'ratcheting' of dry threads during heat cycling.

Well, last night when I got in from work I took the trusty laptop into the garage and using Guzzidiag  and a Carbtune got the TB's set and balanced, they were a bit out. I took it out for a brisk canter today and the bloody thing has found it's second wind ! It just seems to have a never ending supply of torque, I'm sure my arms have got about 3 inches longer. I did about 100kms and used just over 5 litres of fuel which works out at about 45mpg (imp) so I'm more than happy.

• Like 1