V11 Sport fork problems

mjseymo

Hi All,

I'm new to owing new Guzzi's having had Tonti framed models and a couple of early two strokes etc.

Last year I bought a 2001 V11 with around 23,000 km on the clock year and it has been performing ok. However, there was a bit of a clunk when going over pot holes or speed bumps and when it came to MOT the local motorcycle shop picked up on this and replaced the head bearings on the bike. 

Having been in storage all winter but now out on the road again we still have the big clunk when over speed bumps or pot holes. I've taken it back to them and theyv'e checked the races and all is adjusted up correctly. 

They suggest that it could be bushes within the fork legs themselves but they are at a bit of a loss unless I want them to strip them down at some cost. My dedicated Guzzi dealer is some distance away. Has anyone else had this problem or know what it might be. The clunk is quite dramatic. 

All best, 

Martin

Welcome Martin.

I doubt that your problem is worn fork bushings with only 23K km on the bike.  Are you positive that it's coming from the fork?  You might want to check the front motor mount bolts before tearing into the fork.

If the clunk is indeed coming from the fork I think you or someone else needs to service the fork to see if something has come loose in there.  Instructions on how to do it are in the workshop manual.  It's probably due for some fresh fork oil anyway.  I and many others here have taken our forks apart to replace seals and other parts without any special tools.  There are a few threads on fork servicing in the "How To" section of this site.  Good luck.

My 2000 Sport did this from new. Only after a fork rebuild did I find the right cartridge was not seated fully into the bottom of the fork. It fits down into a hex recess and I suppose mine did not get dropped in before it was tightened on assembly causing the damper to move about a quarter inch before engaging causing a *clack* over every bump. For years I thought it was the bounce in the steering damper.

Once seated, it was pretty amazing to have a noise like that go away after it had always been there. I also found the suspension less unsettled setting up for corners and coming out since that 1/4" of play was gone from the rebound side.

This is actually pretty easy to check: With the bike on a shop stand and the engine supported with a jack, back the damping adjusters all the way out noting their positions, release the fork caps being mindful of the spring tension. Grasp each damper and force it up and down: there should be notable damping without any undamped play.

Checked the back shock for the split eye (if Sachs Boge)? The clunk I had been bequeathed by the PO turned out to be the shock coming loose at the swing arm end. Only dismantling revealed it.