LED headlights: the 2014 edition

JBBenson

Since LED technology is changing by the year, wondering who has found an LED (headlight, tail light and turn signals) replacement for the V11 that is plug-n-play?

Vendors?

The V11 headlight socket is an H4 so, in theory, any H4 compatible light, standard, Halogen, LED, or HID should work.  The problem, of course, is that the LED and HID H4 "equivalent" bulbs I've seen are not EXACTLY the same.  They have external components that need a place to be installed.

I've not tried it myself, but was considering, but a fellow Kawasaki ZRX1200R user installed an H4 in his ZRX.  While the Cree-branded H4 has a heatsink that sticks out behind the bulb, there is sufficient clearance in behind the ZRX headlight housing to mount it.  The results look good.  I was going to get one and test fit it into my V11 LeMans.  It looks like it should fit.

Perhaps someone else here has already tried this and can comment with some authority.

• 1 year later...

Here are a pair of links for a LED twilight and headlight conversions from Harper. The tail light is suppose to be a direct bolt in replacement. I'm not sure about the headlight. I've got the tail light on order.

http://www.harpermoto.com/led-taillight-conversion-for-v11-sport-and-lemans-1999-2004.html

http://www.harpermoto.com/l.e.d-headlight-retrofit-kit-481102.html

I bought the H4 LED conversion light kit from Cycle Gear.  Unfortunately the kit won't fit in the headlight bucket on the Sport.  It's about 1/4 in too long.  I kept it to install on my Bandit where I have been using 90/100 wt bulb for the last dozen years, the heat is causing the headlight lens darken.  

I was riding back from Atlanta on the super slab at night a couple weeks back. I stood up and put my hand in front of the bike to see if the light was on. Thats how bad my headlight was. I told myself no more night riding till I have a proper headlite.

I bought a J.W.Speaker 8???  and put it on the bike. No official night time ride of any distance, but preleminary results are outstanding. 

It takes a bit of work to make it fit, and requires more than a screwdriver. And    NO   I did not document the install very well.

Probably have to take it apart to figure out what I did    LOL...

maybe my pics will load 

Yes - Thats the one. Kinda pricey - about 350.00 us - but I had to do something. 

I Know you can not put a hotter halogen in cause the system can't handle the load. 

This was my best alternative, plus it should be less draw on the charging system. 
there are many more options, but they involve a lot more work than what I did. 

In the end, I wanted a new type of lite. I feel the stock guzzi headlite is a piece of shit.

Its just a big blob of lite that doesn't do anything. It has no Focus through a clear lens. If 

it was a projector lamp that would be different. It needs all those steps and facets on the inside 

to make the lite go where it needs to be. And the fact that its a plastic reflector doesn't help either.

good luck  !! :grin:

Yes - Thats the one. Kinda pricey - about 350.00 us - but I had to do something. 

I Know you can not put a hotter halogen in cause the system can't handle the load. 

This was my best alternative, plus it should be less draw on the charging system. 

there are many more options, but they involve a lot more work than what I did. 

In the end, I wanted a new type of lite. I feel the stock guzzi headlite is a piece of shit.

Its just a big blob of lite that doesn't do anything. It has no Focus through a clear lens. If 

it was a projector lamp that would be different. It needs all those steps and facets on the inside 

to make the lite go where it needs to be. And the fact that its a plastic reflector doesn't help either.

good luck  !! :grin:

That looks good, I guess you made some kind of rim to close up the gap, as the original is 8". Cant be that hard.

j.

That company also sells a bucket for that Headlite.  I Purchased one also. There bucket is about 5mm to wide on each side to fit the ears of a LeMans( rosso-tenni-etc...)It also has a vertical and horizontal adjustment assembly that I did use as well as the trim ring that came with the new bucket.

The beauty to me is that I used the stock bucket and I can use the cool little stock vertical headlite adjustment. It would be quite the pain in the arse to have to take the fairing off to do the headlite.

when I was done I had a new bucket (that I did not use) an old adjustment setup and the old trim ring left over.  Had to drill a couple holes in the old bucket. But hey   its all fun when your making it better.

:rasta:

Upgraded the H4 bulb in my V11 to this bulb from Amazon: OPT7 Motorcycle LED Headlight Kit w/ Arc-Beam™ Clear 6K Cool White - 40w 3,500Lm CREE (H4, 9003) - 2 Yr Warranty, $59.99. It is excellent. Fits in the headlight bucket without issue. Very bright with good distibution pattern with both lo and hi beams. I was so impressed with it, I immediately ordered another for the Griso. It is impressive how much light a 40 watt buld can crank out. It is brighter than the HID's that I put in my wife's bike.

• Like 1

Upgraded the H4 bulb in my V11 to this bulb from Amazon: OPT7 Motorcycle LED Headlight Kit w/ Arc-Beam™ Clear 6K Cool White - 40w 3,500Lm CREE (H4, 9003) - 2 Yr Warranty, $59.99. It is excellent. Fits in the headlight bucket without issue. Very bright with good distibution pattern with both lo and hi beams. I was so impressed with it, I immediately ordered another for the Griso. It is impressive how much light a 40 watt buld can crank out. It is brighter than the HID's that I put in my wife's bike.

Thats cool. I will get that one. Did you get the single or dual? I think they refer to filaments, not sure if the V11 H4 has one or two.