LED headlights: the 2014 edition

JBBenson

Yeah, there should be a tiny bulb in the bucket with your H4.

Tail light, tag light, city light, and instrument lights are all on that circuit (fuse 6 directly from the ignition switch/ no relay).

I don't think I've ever seen a bad ground blow a fuse. Blow bulbs or melt wiring, sure, but blow a fuse? :huh2:

I think I found it.

First, I checked the tail light assembly, no issues there. No issues with the "city light".

Tried the ignition switch, no issues there. Tried to replicate blowing fuse #6 by running the bike and turning left and right, high and low beam, turn signals, on and off switch. Nothing.

The tail light flickered once when restarting, the bike chugging and vibrating. Then it stayed lit.

Since the tach light was out, I started opening up the back of the instrument housing, when I heard some small tinkling noises, of something falling inside of the instrument itself. The bulb holder had come apart at some point, and the possibly broken bulb had fallen inside.

I suspect that the bulb had either broken or the holder had come apart and shorted against the instrument housing. Before I take it apart to find the bulb, anyone have an idea which screws I need to remove to open the tachometer housing? Can I open the tach housing? The silver faceted "posts" seem to be spacers more than anything. Not sure. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

INSTRUMENT.jpg

UPDATE:

It was the bulb socket that fell apart and shorted. I was able to shake the old bulb out of the hole. Got it all back together now. 

Since LED technology is changing by the year, wondering who has found an LED (headlight, tail light and turn signals) replacement for the V11 that is plug-n-play?

Vendors?

I bought a pair of H4 LED lamps from Aliexpress for US$49, free shipping. I only needed 1, but had to buy a pair.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/40W-3000lumen-2015-Newly-No-Fan-Design-H4-Hi-Low-Beam-Auto-Car-LED-HeadLight-Front/32466646186.html dead link ..

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170521101957&SearchText=h4+led+copper

The light is brighter than the Phillips 55/60 watt halogen lamp, but draws less current and stays cooler. Its been in the bike for a week, so I can't say how long it will last yet, but so far I'm happy with it.

It was offset for RH traffic on low beam, so I had to grind the lamp H4 adapter so the offset suited LH traffic in this country. The picture shows the low beam higher on the LH side, but if you drive on the right, then your lamp & headlight lens will make the low beam higher on the right.

Headlight Lamp on V11.jpg

The heatsink that all high power LEDs need is large loops of copper braid on this lamp. This fits well into the V11 Sport Naked headlight bucket. There is no cooling fan or clearance problem from an aluminium heatsink.

The LUX readings shown in the picture attachment were from an app on my phone taken at 1 metre. I can't say it is accurate, but it could be good for comparison.

Moto Fugazzi Ken said that blue light is not great in fog or rain. The LED colour is bluish, but I haven't tried it in the fog or rain. Its still summer out here.

Edited by MartyNZ
  • Like 1

Since LED technology is changing by the year, wondering who has found an LED (headlight, tail light and turn signals) replacement for the V11 that is plug-n-play?

Vendors?

I bought a LED tail light bulb from: https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170527141419&SearchText=LED+red+1157

I'm pretty happy with it. I was going to replace the tail light lens but didn't want to do this until I had a LED lamp which is cooler than the incandescent bulb. The lens has a burnt area just above the bulb.

TailLight on V11.jpg

I tried an early made 1157 type LED in my tail light, but it didn't even look like it was on from the side, dim from an angle (only bright straight on). How doea one look from the side, does it illuminate the red lens?

I tried an early made 1157 type LED in my tail light, but it didn't even look like it was on from the side, dim from an angle (only bright straight on). How doea one look from the side, does it illuminate the red lens?

Some pictures from various angles with only the tail light on, not brake, are attached. This partcular 1157 LED lamp does have good side beams. This is the first one I tried that didn't immediately get thrown into the parts bin. There is some real junk that you can buy on Aliexpress.

I also added small arrays of LEDs at the sides of the taillight, taken from a previous attempt to find a good LED lamp. You can just see the light from two 12v arrays connected in series, wired to the taillight circuit, and put in a dark area of the taillight assembly where the reflector casts a shadow.

I am trying to avoid those words:"sorry mate, I didn't see you".

Tail Light Angle Views V11.jpg

That works so much better than my attempt. So, one "bulb" and two side arrays? What does that look like with the lens off?

(I'm gonna be owing ya a beer, now, mate!) :bier:

I got a 1157 type LED tail light from here:

http://chromeglow.com

From the side, it isn't that bright. But from the back, especially when braking, it's pretty bright.

The person behind you is the only person that needs to see your brake lights.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks gents, for this thread. Here is the H4 LED headlight from GuzziTech - with OEM bulb for comparison.

IMG_4765.jpg

The electrical is plug and play. I connected it to the bike and it is WOW bright.  :sun:

BUT.... I cannot figure out how to close the light with all the extra bits in there. The base of the LED light (with a fan in it) takes the same space that the plug used to take - now I have to squeeze in the plug and the black box. Been at it for almost an hour...  :angry:

I'm tempted to cut out some of the ring that the OEM rubber boot goes onto. But before I start cutting, it would be great if somebody could "enlighten" me about how all this fits in the bucket.

I think i might try one of these two. 

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/351635202584?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I think i like this more if the beams are good. The tab

s are perfect for mounting. I like the look too.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281988128179?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Has anyone tried these ?

Thanks gents, for this thread. Here is the H4 LED headlight from GuzziTech - with OEM bulb for comparison.

attachicon.gifIMG_4765.jpg

The electrical is plug and play. I connected it to the bike and it is WOW bright.  :sun:

BUT.... I cannot figure out how to close the light with all the extra bits in there. The base of the LED light (with a fan in it) takes the same space that the plug used to take - now I have to squeeze in the plug and the black box. Been at it for almost an hour...  :angry:

I'm tempted to cut out some of the ring that the OEM rubber boot goes onto. But before I start cutting, it would be great if somebody could "enlighten" me about how all this fits in the bucket.

Maybe my Sport bucket is bigger than your Scura's.

All of the ballast and bits fit in mine, although I had to push everything to one side where there was room, outside of the ring surrounding the bulb hole, if that makes any sense. I also had to keep the ballast thing lying flat to close up cleanly.

Make sure you have the bulb base and the slots aligned correctly, as it only goes in one way, even though it appears to go in any way. Correct alignment will reduce the profile just enough to clear the bucket.

That being said, it may be that the Scura's bucket is shallower than the Sport's.  

I would just cut away what you need to to make it fit. It's not like it's a Vincent Black Shadow..... ;)

Thanks JB. Just tried again, still can't make it fit.

I thought, perhaps, you were being generous by offering that your bike's headlight bucket might be larger. Then I went to Harper's website parts diagrams - and wouldn't you know, the headlight on the Scura is different than all the other 2002s. It's a tight, little, black, form-fitting headlight cover. Just one more way the Scura is special...  FWIW - the Scura headlight bucket looks quite large in the attached illustration. I can assure you that is not the case.

Screen Shot 2016-04-14 at 7.12.17 AM.jpg

I'm certainly not worried about maintaining the originality of the backside of a plastic headlight insert. However - I think I will try this light on the LeMans, which has still a different bucket. I'm going to try the LED headlight Marty recommends in the Scura - no extra plugs or ballast on that one.

I think I will try this light on the LeMans, which has still a different bucket. I'm going to try the LED headlight Marty recommends in the Scura - no extra plugs or ballast on that one.

Which one is that? (Sorry - I can't keep the alternatives straight at this point . . . :blink: )