LED headlights: the 2014 edition

JBBenson

Now, that is a serious hammer in the background; not the usual ball-peen stuff typically found lying around a coupl'a Guzzis . . . :luigi:

Do you mean the yellow and silver thing hanging on the wall?  Not a hammer.  That's a tool that can shut off the gas and water supply at the street in case of emergency.  Public Service Announcement: Does your home have one and does everyone know how to use it?

I decided to try the JW Speaker LED Model 8700 EVO 2.    5K on the Kelvin scale, and has a good cutoff as to not offend traffic. Can be found on eBay for about $250, but watch out for fakes. These are made about 20 miles from my house in good old Wisconsin, USA.

P.S. The smoke behind the bike is from dinner, not the bike!

IMG_8891_zps3krub4uy.jpg

Low beam at night from 35':

IMG_8897_zpsoour51tq.jpg

High beam at night from 35' against a 6' fence:

IMG_8898_zpsvtoeflwy.jpg

• Like 3

I decided to try the JW Speaker LED Model 8700 EVO 2.    5K on the Kelvin scale, and has a good cutoff as to not offend traffic. Can be found on eBay for about $250, but watch out for fakes. These are made about 20 miles from my house in good old Wisconsin, USA.

P.S. The smoke behind the bike is from dinner, not the bike!

IMG_8891_zps3krub4uy.jpg

Low beam at night from 35':

IMG_8897_zpsoour51tq.jpg

High beam at night from 35' against a 6' fence:

IMG_8898_zpsvtoeflwy.jpg

I've decided to try one of these JW Speaker light assemblies. Did you also buy or need any other parts for the install? Where did you buy yours?

Bought my JW Speaker light from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231726087766?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Make an offer on it for $250, and they'll most likely accept it. It won't fit in your stock headlight if you have the Bosch 8" like my bike. I bought a 7" Emgo 66-65010 headlight bucket, and it fit right in. You'll also have to add some spacers if you're getting the smaller headlight. Dennis Kirk has a few of the headlight buckets, but you can find them cheaper on ebay. https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/matte-black-7-in-z1-style-headlight-66-65010.p217664.prd/217664.sku

I notice you have the LeMans version, which should be a standard 7" bucket, but you never know with MG. The JW has the standard H4 connector, so you can use the standard wiring.

Ken

• Like 1

Bought my JW Speaker light from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/231726087766?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Make an offer on it for $250, and they'll most likely accept it. It won't fit in your stock headlight if you have the Bosch 8" like my bike. I bought a 7" Emgo 66-65010 headlight bucket, and it fit right in. You'll also have to add some spacers if you're getting the smaller headlight. Dennis Kirk has a few of the headlight buckets, but you can find them cheaper on ebay. https://www.denniskirk.com/emgo/matte-black-7-in-z1-style-headlight-66-65010.p217664.prd/217664.sku

I notice you have the LeMans version, which should be a standard 7" bucket, but you never know with MG. The JW has the standard H4 connector, so you can use the standard wiring.

Ken

Thanks for the assist! I ordered both parts through Amazon and should have them early next week. I still have plenty of other stuff to work on until they arrive.

To everyone else. I will try to gather some photos of the install.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't see it mentioned but the nice thing about LED headlights, they need less Voltage to operate, if you look at a typical one it may say something like Voltage 9 - 35 Volts, that means it will put out 100% light at 9 Volts anything more is just gravy, burnt up in the regulator.

I didn't see it mentioned but the nice thing about LED headlights, they need less Voltage to operate, if you look at a typical one it may say something like Voltage 9 - 35 Volts, that means it will put out 100% light at 9 Volts anything more is just gravy, burnt up in the regulator.

That's why I have an LED bulb in my 850T, the poor alternator barely puts out enough to keep the bike running with the light off!

And some side-by-side comparisons:

attachicon.gifIMG_4864.jpg

Also note that the Scura taillight (left) is LED, while the LeMans taillight (right) is the stock incandescent.

And I just noticed that the LeMans' license plate light is out... 

attachicon.gifIMG_4869.jpg

And a gratuitous picture, cuz they look better with the lights on, if you know what I mean.  :P:

attachicon.gifIMG_4870.jpg

But, damn, the footpegs on the Scura are awfully shiny. Something must be done about that...

Any replacment bulb is only going to perform as well as the reflector's quality and ability. I would be interested to see if there was a comparison of such LED bulbs with those of a specific LED headlight such as the JW Speaker unit? Anyone out there able to put a bike side by side? The cost of an LED bulb with OEM reflector is quite a lot less than a specific LED headlight afterr all.

Agreed, there is bound to be a tradeoff to an "adapted" LED H4 bulb, versus an enclosure and lens specifically designed for how an LED produces light.

That being said, I'm sure some are better than others, and Todd Eagan over at GuzziTech says his "bulbs" are quite good, and a lot less money than these replacement headlights.

I've not tested his bulbs, but I trust Todd's opinion.  So it could be that the bulbs aren't as good as a dedicated LED headlight, but if they are 1/3 or more the cost, but significantly better than the halogen, and say "80% as good" as the dedicated LED headlight.... it might be worth trying the bulb.

• Like 1