LED headlights: the 2014 edition

JBBenson

My beam projection is not great on hi-beam with my cheap LED head lamp installation. It does has better "reach" and the lo-beam is wide and flat (much better than stock).

Pretty sure the "conspicuity" is improved, though!  :thumbsup:

gallery_328_223_1182800.jpeg

New "adaptive headlight" technology is amazing. The ability to aim the lights through the coming curve seems the future, to me. Our new Subaru Outback does this and it is fabulous. Having this "adaptive" cornering feature on a motorcycle would be amazing.

Interesting and similar discussion on the H4 LED - other lighting thread. 

After 12 pages or so Docc's conclusions were -

So . .  from what I have learned so far:

1) Replacement/ "upgrade" LED units do not compliment the existing reflector to project a reliable beam pattern. This is across the board and not just this one unit. The LED unit I referenced has a better lo-beam pattern, but sketchy hi-beam pattern.

2) The higher Kelvin "color" of ~5000K ( "whiter/bluer" than the more yellow halogen ~ 4300K), does not reflect the road surface and features back as well.  5000K reflects the road signage and reflective road markings spectacularly. Yet, riders, and drivers, are also reporting unwanted "glare" in rain, fog, or snow with the common 5000K LED.

3) Heat generation is problematic. Not just for the LED, but also normal halogen bulbs. And, especially, increased wattage halogen H4. My connector had melted using a normal H4 (riding most of the time on Hi). I have had various other damage experiences with hi-wattage H4 bulbs.

4) I am *feeling* more confident with a common Wagner H4 in the Sport for my upcoming ride that could catch us out after dark. 

My preliminary conclusion on improving the V11 for better night riding? There is no cheap solution. Early V11 steel buckets/reflectors (Bosch) are probably better than later plastic buckets/reflectors.

It seems that the ture benefit will only be gained with a preperly desinged LED headlight  where all the components are desinged to work together albeit at a much higher initial cost.

Continuing thoughts welcome....

• Like 1

The little Chinese LED isn't a huge upgrade from the 55wt, it doesn't seem as bright as a 100wt H4 IMO.

agree with Docc that high beam doesn't seem to do it.

It's still a little better than the stock 55wt and doesn't suck down the alternator. 

My eyes,,, say, stay out of the darkness   :oldgit: ,,, still looking for a new headlight,,, reflector shows damage in the botton. American company,, Grote has a 7 inch led sealed beam unit,, anybody tried this ?

Cheers tom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

So here is a couple of pics of my new light. Its a Great White, cost $500 and was relativley painless to adapt. Had to cut out the back of the bucket and grind the little plastic tabs on the original globe front but it was plug and play and is mind blowing how good it is. I would say the JW speaker adapter kit would probably have worked with this light as well but this was half the price of the JW. Although non adaptive its amazing how good it is. Ill post more photos

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1197.jpg

• Like 2