V7 tuning

docc

Sounds like where we'll be ending up. Again, thanks for the excellence. :thumbsup:

I figure I'll be posting back for contact info on Mark. We've been successful at connecting guzzidiag a couple times, but not every time. :huh2:

I would like to know how to "zero the trims . . ."

I guess this MIUG just seems foreign to my (limited) 15M experience and I don;t have the V7 right here to monkey with.

Although, the V7 was picked up from the dealer today with "update and parameters reset." $85US

Now, we shall see what we shall see, won't we?

Zeroing the trims, resetting them to factory standards, can be achieved by simply disconnecting the battery for a couple of minutes. This will of been done with this bike as the factory term is 'Re-set self learning parameters.' Which they say they have done.

The way it works is that once the engine is warm the ECU which is incorporated in the MUIG-3 begins reacting to the inputs from the Lambda sensors. The base maps are universally rich and the lambda input tells the ECU to pull out fuel until it reaches the point that has been determined as *Right*. Thing is while this is done swiftly and crudely initially there is a further interpolative aspect that requires constant throttle for much longer to 'Fine Tune' the tables that control all aspects of the engine's management. This is still heading towards what is deemed *Ideal* for emissions and may well in fact negatively impact both performance and, perversely, fuel economy as aiming for a 'Blanket' emissions output does not take into account the vagaries of different engine designs or operations.

Like all of the more recent Magnetti Marelli systems the MUIG-3 is no longer a glorified abacus delivering only simplistic 'Linear' information. Changes to one aspect of the maps, by design or simply by relying on the factory's trim interpretations, will have a cascading effect down through some or many of the other correction tables. This is the reason simple 'Plug ins' like 'Fat Duc's' and 'Booster Plug's' are a complete waste of time and money and can seriously impact on the wellbeing of one's engine.

Long story short. The factory maps are crap. Their crappyness is compounded by the poor development of the *Secondary* tables like the air/temp, engine/temp and (I'm extrapolating from the W5AM here.) the torque tables that choose parameters for each gear.

Getting the MUIG-3 system to work well is a work in progress but there are already very good maps that Mark has developed that seem to have addressed most of the issues of the wet and dry alternator V7's. There still seems to be a couple of minor glitches with the V7-II due to its incorporation of ABS and TC into the programming but it's getting there. Hopefully this issue will be able to be tackled more comprehensively if I purchase a V9 this year. Personally I think the V9 is a turd but you have to work with what you're given I suppose.

Pete

Wow, Pete!

Thanks for taking such time with the great explanation. I'll share this with my son. I suspect we haven't seen the last of running issues with his V7.

He was pretty bubbled over getting back on it yesterday! I really like the V7 - looks great, sounds wonderful with the Mistral!

Best!  docc

• 1 month later...

The V7 hasn't acted up again since the dealer service about a month ago. I don't think he rode it more than a few times before this last weekend, but then we did over 500 miles in a variety of conditions with a good number of restarts both cold and hot. Seems to be running swimmingly.

I also see the the header color is even now. It always bothered me that the left pipe was a brighter blue like it was too lean. That was especially troubling since it is a single throttle body.

And, even in the company of a couple noisy big blocks, the V7 with the Mistrals sounds absolutely fantastic! :thumbsup:

It's a single throttle body but twin injectors and lambda input. Each cylinder is treated, effectively, as a different motor so while the NB sensors are slow and stupid and try to trim to virtual incombustibility they will attempt to make both sides run equally awfully. :D The fact that there is a single butterfly is really a non issue.

Pete

That makes perfect sense. I suppose, being the Luddite I am, the different header pipe colors made me want to put the mercury sticks on it  and give it  proper balance. That I simply could not was a bit of a frustration.