Trying to fix broken shifter spring

cosmo

I've got the shifter cover off. There is a flat plate that sits on top of the 2 large selector gears held down by 2 c-clips, one on each gear, and a screw in the center. That screw won't turn for me to get the plate off. Am I missing something ? Don't want to strip the slot in the screw. Have tried searching forums and come up with zilch! Anyone know the trick ? Thanks

I done this job a few years back and dont think i could get the screw to move either. Is there not a nut on the opposite end of the screw!! I slackened the nut just enough for the plate to raise and get clearance over the shafts then turned it 180 degrees after that and then tightened the nut again( there was not a lot of thread to start with) then there is plenty of room to work on the selectors etc.

It looks like you remove the two circlips/snap-rings and the horseshoe shaped bar should be removed.  It's not clear in the picture but the bolt in the center may go through the cover plate so it may need to be freed also.

I will try loosening the bolt that holds it together on the outside of the cover as suggested by grossohc and let everyone know how it worked. Thanks

That did the trick. Loosen the nut to almost falling off and push the shaft in and the boomerang plate will clear the shifter drum shafts and spin out of the way. Now those two eccentric screws. One is the preselector and one is the detent, right ? Is one for an upshift stop/ control and one for downshit ? I've been shifting up and down for an hour, stareing at it and can't figure it out. Anyone know ? I'm going to try researching an answer here. Thanks again to grossohc and guzzisti for the suggestion.

This is what I got after stareing, shifting, stareing.... All the pics I saw here showing the eccentric screw in the middle of the case, show it with the slot parallel to the outside edge of the case with the high eccentric end pointed up as mounted on the bike. That will do for me as I can't figure out what it does. I put a locking plier on the shifting shaft and shifted up and down while holding/ turning shifting drums as to move everything slowly. While doing this I played with the other eccentric screw.   (The one next to the shifter) When  the adjustment is in the wrong position the pliers would allow the pawl arm to push or pull beyond the spot where the detent lockwheel (part name ?) lays into the slots. This would result in to much shifter lever travel in one or the other direction assembled. Adjusted correctly the excessive pawl arm travel doesn't happen. I'll post again after its back together and see if no further adjustments are needed.

Yes it was, which is why I went in again. 2nd time since 05. First time in I unknowingly turned nuts and bolts I shouldn't have,  the learning curve ! Never shifted quite the same after that, and I played with it alot.(The slotted screw next to shifter)   After playing with it today I noticed the "dial in" is very small, a few degrees of area, of the 360 available that the screw can turn which seems to minimise pawl arm over travel after the detent wheel, arm, (?)  drops into the gear position slots. Perhaps, I'm completely wrong. Sorry about the part names as I have no idea. I hope to reinstall tomorrow, and hope no post assembly adjustments are required. Will let you know.  By the way, with all the members here isn't there someone who has a relative who works at Guzzi that can share a few of the answers to these mystery issues that I keep seeing. I think on warm Italian afternoon breaks at the factory they sit around enjoying cheese, bread, and wine chuckleing.

The slotted screw better known as the eccentric adjuster,doesn't have that much effect on shifting.It is a fine tune adjustment for personal preference of where the tow shifter sits,ie;higher,lower.At it's extreme positions,up or down,a correctly working pre-selector assembly and transmission should shift just fine.Generally when you have bad shifting,missed shifts,false neutrals,..it's something else.I was getting false neutrals,replaced clutch,friction plates,all springs in the pre-selector and it still had the same symptoms.Found a used tranny,slapped the pre-selector cover from it on to my bike and voila!,she shifts perfect.The pawl spring and pawl arm if fitted with updated parts either work or break.If they are updated and not broken,it's probably not them.My covers didn't have that added brace of the later models so can't help you with that,but Ive had my cover off 4 or 5 times so pretty familiar with it if you need help.Unfortunately I'll be out of town for a week or so but if you don't have it sorted by then let me know and maybe I could take a ride up to CT,unless you can trailer it to the Hudson Valley.Um,.. I think they drink Grappa a lunch,wines too good for monkey mechanics. :grin: