Trying to fix broken shifter spring

cosmo

thanks fellows

all linkages look intact nothing out of ordinary that I could see

like i said shifter goes up and down like its not attached to anything until it hits the starter cover bolt and the pork chop 

on the way down there is a light sound/feel of a loose spring bounce that might be around the shifter shaft

planning to open it up this weekend to take a look inside

really confused on what parts I need to get with MG re design and all

hopefully opening it will clear some of this out

any tips and suggestions will be greatly appriciated 

All right kids

today got the cover off and right off the bat a piece broken PAW spring fell out

its busted half way around the loop

honestly i was surprised at the gage of the wire, its no thicker than a paper clip 

i think that is a big part of the problem

tomorrow i will take the selectors off to see if i have the correct size boss if not thinking about ordering the full replacement kit + an extra spring

my next hurdle is to figure out how to get the transmision in to neutral since it is still stuck in third

any pointers would be greatly appriciated

cheers 

Delman: To set box in neutral, space sliding collars equidistant on their shafts. Obviously, you then have to set selector mech to match. 

Their are old threads on this - I can't get copy/paste to work so can't paste link to page (Jaap - is that just me or is there a problem?), try advanced search using "neutral" & "Baldini" in Technical Topics. There's diagrams there too.

KB :sun:

http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9261&p=105433

[Added the link; cut and paste looks ok from here/  docc]

thats what i m thinking

but i read here that you should put it in neutral

i am gona fiddle with it a little if not certin she is going back together in third

now just gota wait for the postman

cheers 

Baldini

there are limited movements on the arms free play but i can line them up

by equidistance you mean the two on the left and the two on the right should line up with each other correct?

but the gear box is still engaged 

also found an older thread that they did away with the pawl spring and instead used a coil spring to keep tension on the arm 

how did that worked out

thanks for your help

This is neutral. If you arrange the gears in the cover like this, you can slide the transmission forks/gears on their rods until the slots on the cover gears accept the pins on the shifting forks. Play around a little and you will see what I mean. It will only go on when everything is lined up.

neutral_small.jpg

tranny_internals_sm.jpg

there are limited movements on the arms free play but i can line them up

by equidistance you mean the two on the left and the two on the right should line up with each other correct?

but the gear box is still engaged......

I'm referring to the sliding collars (2 & 8 in the diagram) in the gearbox itself that the selector forks engage with. When the box is in neutral, the space between each of these collars & their neighbouring gear is the same in each case - they are centred in the available space on the shaft.

post-426-13137496532706_thumb.jpg

This is the link I tried to paste before: http://www.v11lemans.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16884&hl=%2Bneutral%2C+%2Bsliding+%2Bcollars&do=findComment&comment=180908 Seems to be workling now, thanks Docc, but I guess I gave the wrong search parameters...

Below the word 'Slots' you can see a pair of cogs - in neutral position. That's the correct neutral for all of them. It's as easy as Baldini said. I wouldn't try it in third, too easy to trap into something silly in my eyes.

Hubert

you know some times we over complicate things as simple as they may be

just tried what Baldini suggested and wala the gear box is in neutral and i can roll the bike freely

I thought I had to disengage the gear box from the gear its in (sliding the actual gears) 

thank you for all your input it certinly made it easier to understand the mechanics of it

new spring and ratchet arm are in the mail should have them by the weekend 

will post the results

thanks a million

Delman