Trying to fix broken shifter spring

cosmo

new spring and arm came in yesterday

put them on today topped off with some Redline and took her for a ride decpite 35 deg weather

she runs beautifully and shifting silky smooth

I was so pleased that I rewarded her with new set of Michelins that she desperatly needed

thank you all again for your help

Delman 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

This is neutral. If you arrange the gears in the cover like this, you can slide the transmission forks/gears on their rods until the slots on the cover gears accept the pins on the shifting forks. Play around a little and you will see what I mean. It will only go on when everything is lined up. neutral_small.jpg tranny_internals_sm.jpg

please don't use photobucket, pics not there!

This is neutral. If you arrange the gears in the cover like this, you can slide the transmission forks/gears on their rods until the slots on the cover gears accept the pins on the shifting forks. Play around a little and you will see what I mean. It will only go on when everything is lined up. neutral_small.jpgtranny_internals_sm.jpg

please don't use photobucket, pics not there!

Hello

I have replied to the Private Message, where you are rather cross that I have not got photographs in my old posts on this subject, to explain that there are indeed plenty of photos, which can be easily accessed via FAQ. Following that, I now see the above exclamation – which makes me wonder if you need to check your internet service/connection as you appear to not be seeing photos? The photo bucket hosted photos above are 'there' – they are visible to me.

Hello

I have replied to the Private Message, where you are rather cross that I have not got photographs in my old posts on this subject, to explain that there are indeed plenty of photos, which can be easily accessed via FAQ. Following that, I now see the above exclamation – which makes me wonder if you need to check your internet service/connection as you appear to not be seeing photos? The photo bucket hosted photos above are 'there' – they are visible to me.

While I can see the pics above by JBBenson, I can't find any images on all the links on the old 2004 threads. Seems they went cold some time ago. :huh2:

Photobucket is renowned for dropping older photos.

What's the deal with local hosting of pics? To my mind FAQ worthy stuff should get bulletproof rehosting so ten or twenty years along it's there. Hell it's only ten years old already, here comes new owner rattling the chains...

• 2 weeks later...

Since this is a common problem has anyone compiled a step by step, picutes and arrows, job guide for this?  I have a 2000 v11 sport that I am having an occassional issue with the shift lever sticking/locking in the down position when downshifting.  I am able to correct it by actuating the clutch while moving but at some point it is going to lock up and leave me stuck somehwere.  I have the three replacement springs, ordered from Harpers, I have a reprinted service manual, that does not go into any detail what so ever.  there are no pictures and arrows with part names or anything in the manual.

I am an old school tube frame Buell guy as well and have a nice collection of tube frame Buells that I have spent a lot of time on and have built a few job guides for solving issues, now I find myself in unfamiliar territory with getting ready to get into this bike.  Ive read the thread, but it addresses a few small questions with specific areas, and assumes that folks know how thie transmission is labled and functions on this bike...  A complete "how to" job guide would be great!

thanks in advance,

finally have my Buells all set up and its time to get into this and start spending some on my Guzzis....

Since this is a common problem has anyone compiled a step by step, picutes and arrows, job guide for this? I have a 2000 v11 sport that I am having an occassional issue with the shift lever sticking/locking in the down position when downshifting. I am able to correct it by actuating the clutch while moving but at some point it is going to lock up and leave me stuck somehwere. I have the three replacement springs, ordered from Harpers, I have a reprinted service manual, that does not go into any detail what so ever. there are no pictures and arrows with part names or anything in the manual.

I am an old school tube frame Buell guy as well and have a nice collection of tube frame Buells that I have spent a lot of time on and have built a few job guides for solving issues, now I find myself in unfamiliar territory with getting ready to get into this bike. Ive read the thread, but it addresses a few small questions with specific areas, and assumes that folks know how thie transmission is labled and functions on this bike... A complete "how to" job guide would be great!

thanks in advance,

finally have my Buells all set up and its time to get into this and start spending some on my Guzzis....

There is a rehash of this in another thread with a curious title including words to the effect of "no pics here", go figure. Perhaps some kind moderator will take the time to host those pics on the local server and point the original FAQ thread linked on pg1, to them. Or is it a how to thread? Housekeeping overhaul this winter?

Mine is a build year 2000/model 2001 and I had the oversize boss. I opened mine up to to find out, ground down the boss to the recommended size (I think from 16 down to 15mm), and replaced the spring with a new one.

I wanted to KNOW, and am glad I did. The larger boss does bind the spring, you can feel it when you actuate the spring by hand. After reducing the boss diameter, the parts worked more smoothly together.

If it does break, I did what I could, and can replace it in an hour. It is pretty easy to do. I could even do it roadside with the on-board tools I carry, provided I could prop the bike at an angle to save the gear oil. 

Replacing the Sachs shock with a Hyperpro 460 makes it even easier, as I don't have to work around or remove the shock reservoir.