Trying to fix broken shifter spring

cosmo

Just received my  upgrade cover and shifter kit. Now I just need the time to  install it.

Ciao

whats this about, ie what parts and why is it an upgrade?

Afaik it's only a problem with 2002 models having the oversized pawl boss.

which part is the boss... boss?

Just received my  upgrade cover and shifter kit. Now I just need the time to  install it.

Ciao

whats this about, ie what parts and why is it an upgrade?

New cover with extra excentric adjuster, the shifter pawl, a banana shaped link the joins the two gear wheel pins as in a previous photo on this thread,new springs and a few other bits and pieces. Naturally doesnt come with the shifter shaft seal fitted to the cover or included.

Will report on the outcome when I fit it up.

My gearbox shift lever sometimes semi sticks for a fraction and you feel it tap the top of your boot after the shift has been done. I've already changed the shifter springs so this upgrade with additional adjustment and extra support for the selector gear pivot pins should shift better...I hope.

Ciao

When you get it all back together, refill with Redline Heavy Shockproof gear oil.

It will shift like butter. 

Spec'd is Agip Rotra SAE 80 W/90, but the Shockproof gear oil is really nice. Don't be put off by the cherry yogurt color.

+1 on the RedLine Shockproof - but avoid overfilling as it is VERY clingy!

I am also an RLSP "Lightweight" advocate for the gearbox (blue milkshake).

Meaning for the bevel/final drive? Or as an alternate for the transmission?

Spec'd is Agip Rotra SAE 80 W/90, but the Shockproof gear oil is really nice. Don't be put off by the cherry yogurt color.

and 20ml of mollyslip...

but I never have cos ya cant get anything like that here... does this redline stuff have similer in it?

Meaning for the bevel/final drive? Or as an alternate for the transmission?

Good question, for sure.

The  gearbox/6speed/in American: "transmission" (that has the gear sets in it and that side plate shifting mechanism with the pi$$y springs). The Italian manuals call it the "cambio."

The bevel box/ rear drive/ American slang: "the chunk", in Italian - "trasmissione posteriore."

In the manuals, see that "trasmissione secondaria" (final drive") includes the bevel box and the cardan shaft assembly.

So, this thread is about the "gearbox" not the final drive, so no moly specification.

Yet, the RedLine ShockProof (they make other gear oil products that are not specified "ShockProof") are said to contain a "synthetic moly" good for both the gearbox and especially, the bevel box. 'Heavy in the bevel" seems the correct spec from Redline (again, cautions against overfilling! Internal pressures at operating temperatures are likely higher than factory.)

I've never used RLSP heavy in my gearbox, only the lightweight. Lots of other oils, too, but +1 on the better shifting. Numerous members have reported this consistently over the years. Your gearbox will likely love you back . . . whether the Lightweight (blue) or Heavy (pink).

I know an extraordinary V11 rider with high sport mileage that uses Superlight in both . . .

I haven't looked them up but I fully expect those high end products to cost silly silly money in NZ. How often do they need changing? Regular 90wt gear oil is cheap as chips, it's straight mineral 30w engine oil aka lawnmower oil.