Another v11 convert

Buttaknife

Hello V11 forum!

I recently purchased a 2003 v11 cafe sport with 6300 miles on it. The bike appeared in amazing condition. I nearly immediately took it on a 1000+ mile ride from Toronto to Gettysburg, PA. There is nothing like 1000 miles to expose the age of bike. Day two I was on the 44 South, carving turns and I went to downshift and my gear shift petal blows...the bolt assembly just falls off. Luckily I had some quick thinking riders with me and we removed the bolt from the rear break which luckily fits the gear shift petal, then used some wire to fix the rear break. By day three my electronic starter became very moody. Sometimes it starts immediately and then other times nothing...so strange too, doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason why it turns over or not...sometimes taking 10 mins or so to finally start. Now I don't trust it... Suggestions....help. Did I get hosed....I love the bike but am worried its gonna leave me stranded.

Cheers,

Buttaknife

Welcome! Im a little confused on the start issue is it turning over?

If not check that ground, on mine the main ground is behind the seat lock. Then switch your relays there are dozens of posts about them many switch to a higher quality relay.

Check relays first. Then check barrel connectors under the front of the tank were the side stand switch is connected. If the switch has been removed find the two connectors that have been mated together under the front part of the tank near the steering stem, no tank removal nessesary. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

try turning the bars left then right while thumb on the start button next time it won't start. this remedy is for the barrel connector problem, very common. rode mine for a few years like this.

and the advice from fotoguzzi & bsmarble has merit.

if you have a foam pad on top of the tank, it is a re-badged '02, there were a few changes in '03..

. . . Now I don't trust it...

Cheers,

Buttaknife

Wait . . . a gorgeous, racy Italian lady you're not sure you can trust? :whistle:

. . . Now I don't trust it...

Cheers,

Buttaknife

Wait . . . a gorgeous, racy Italian lady you're not sure you can trust? :whistle:

haha!! Sounds like your talking about my wife.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It sounds like the bike needs a typical "going over" that I would hope EVERYBODY does to any motorcycle that they purchase, especially used. I can't imagine buying a bike someone else is selling and taking it on any kind of journey without going over it with a fine tooth comb.

The starting could be relays, loose connections (seems there are some loose nuts/bolts on that bike already), battery, etc.

Take some time and go over it or pay someone to do the same.

It sounds like the bike needs a typical "going over" that I would hope EVERYBODY does to any motorcycle that they purchase, especially used. I can't imagine buying a bike someone else is selling and taking it on any kind of journey without going over it with a fine tooth comb.

The starting could be relays, loose connections (seems there are some loose nuts/bolts on that bike already), battery, etc.

Take some time and go over it or pay someone to do the same.

I'm not sure I'd trust a BRAND NEW bike to take on a 1000+ mile trip the day after I bought it.  In this case you have a really nice bike but it's 11 years old.  Unless it was stored in a hermitically sealed ZipLoc bag for the last 10 years, it's certainly going to need some maintenance, Moto Guzzi or not!

Saw this title and wondered if there was a new fashion for fitting automatic gearboxes. Got excited for a mo'

V11 Convert - there's a thought...!

Guzzi's got you covered on the V11: after an undetermined number of km, the gearbox automatically sticks in the randomly selected gear: instant single speed! :grin:

Really? Just hop on and go? Better look it over first, I bought a1978 G5 a couple of years ago, did a bunch of service work to it, supposedly was just built, did not bother checking the wheel bearings. BIG mistake! Buddy who ever did the wire wheel conversion did not install the bearing spacer! 80MPH failure of the front wheel bearing one day! I even take brand new from the store Guzzis apart and go over everything before using them, who knows who did what or didnt do what? I wont risk my life and happiness on trusting someone elses word on its ok its only got 6000 miles or its new what can go wrong?  DONG

Thanks for the feedback. You guys were bang on, barrel connectors were loose. Pulled then out, cleaned them a little, crimped them lightly....starts right up every time! Thanks again. Now back to loving my new Italian girlfriend...what a beauty!