Blast to the Mountains

Here is a summary of my trip . . .

Day 1 - speedo and mileometer stopped working.

Day 2 - massive brake fade before a very hairy corner on a mountain pass (I had been riding hard for a few hours). Nearly lost it over the edge. Stopped for deep breaths. Maybe should have fixed the speedo !

Day 2 - the pawl spring snapped late afternoon (second time in my ownership of this bike).

Day 3 - spent the morning replacing the pawl spring (missed some great riding). Lucky I was carrying a spare (take note all).

Day 4 - Charging circuit fuse melted.

Day 5 - finally got home, parked up the Guzzi and will not go near it for a few weeks now.

When it is working it is a mighty fine bike, but too much spanner time is needed to keep it there. I also ache like hell. Losing the faith again. . Will post the GoPro footage when I calm down (the good bits were very good). You may see a v11 in the small ads soon . . . 

At least it didn't rain . . . hope you had a great trip Orson.

Wow!

The brake failure sounds pretty scary! I saw some car skid marks going off a steep edge with no guard rail.

I also suffered a breakdown but, not nearly as thorough as yours. My regulator fried itself on the second to the last day. Luckily I had a reservation at a hotel and called them. They were able to sort out a tow truck to come rescue me. The bike shop sent a truck for it the next day and I took a cab to the airport.

Yep, those mountain roads are fairly unforgiving. I had been going a little bonkers, breaking hard and late into corners for a few hours, having great fun. The lever suddenly pulled right back to the bars without any bite. It was fine after it had cooled down for 15 mins . . .but did slow me down a tad. Think I boiled the fluid.

Sorry that your trip was cut short. 

... The lever suddenly pulled right back to the bars without any bite. It was fine after it had cooled down for 15 mins . . .

How old is the brake fluid? I think that a well sorted car shop can measure how much water it holds already. Brake fluid on at least my list is something very close to the end - your post reminds me to look up when I changed it last time.

Hubert

... The lever suddenly pulled right back to the bars without any bite. It was fine after it had cooled down for 15 mins . . .

How old is the brake fluid? I think that a well sorted car shop can measure how much water it holds already. Brake fluid on at least my list is something very close to the end - your post reminds me to look up when I changed it last time.

Hubert

It is 18 months old. Still looked the right colour but I guess that is not the best guide, Will certainly now be replaced. Here is a map of one of the roads as an example, this was a very steep descent. So very hard test of the brakes.

map.jpg

Sorry to read about your mishaps. I took my Rossa several times on similar trips; only problems (so far :race:): several speedo cables; one rear view mirror that fell off on the Autobahn. I would think that your brake problem is highly unusual. Even during race track use, one can rely on the brakes. I still hope that you enjoyed your trip!

Isn't it amazing that those fuses will melt like that and not "blow?"

I'm still in awe of those of you who change your pawl springs on your way somewhere! :notworthy: