Tank fitting problem

Emil Jensen

inspect the area around the steering head, the swelling can cause it to rub against the frame on the right inside and can even wear a hole right thru.

So it's not just me then, RH fork touches the tank on full lock

do the short frame bikes (i assume '01 & earlier) have a little less space between the forks at full lock & the tank than the long frame bikes('02 & later) when new?

my '02 has 5/8" (16mm) clearance right side, 3/4" (19mm) left side at full lock.

i've had the tank mounted on the bike empty, (for reasons i'll go into at a later date) with the cap open for about 6 weeks, these measurements  have not changed appreciably, the rear bolt is easy to screw in, but i still need to *push* down to get the tank down with a *clunk* when it goes over the tail plastic nubbins.

Yes, the early '99-'01RedFrame (and 2001 Rosso Mandello with black frame) pull the forks up closer to the tank.

Also, there is some evidence that very early Sports had even steeper fork rake which was relieved with a change to the triple clamps suggesting that earliest Sports would be most likely to rub the tank with the fork leg.