Single malt - what are you drinking?

Oban 12 year old - had this for the first time on my recent trip to Scotland - top stuff.

Having a wee dram of Glen Moray at the moment - acceptable, but it was all they had in the local Tesco Express.

Hmmm....

Slow single malt tour of Scotland region by region, live under bridges and in fields and not bathe.

Wonder if she does separate if the cops will be any better or worse.

Who wants to guess at the name of the currency?

The Bruce

The Squeaker

The Pinch

Motowfo brought this interesting libation to the Spine Raid: a blend of (up to) 23 year old Guatamalan rums aged at altitude in the Guatamalan highlands. It has (had :drink: ) a delightful smoothness and complexity that reminded me of the finest single malts I've been lucky to taste. Although with no peat or smoke - more sweet like bourbon. I figgered with the highland connection, I might post it anyway . . .

Otherwise, I suppose I should get after a real and proper single malt tomorrow in the spirit of things:

• 2 months later...

Just got back from Glasgow,Glencoe and Kinlochleven.Got a Cardhu,15 YO Glennfiddich,Dalwhinnie,tried a bunch of Speysides at a B&Band a 16YO Scapa which I really liked.

Thanksgiving at Mom's.  There was a bottle of 12 yo Highland Park.  Had three stiff ones and Macanudo.  Was a nice afternoon to sit on her back patio with my BIL.  Sharing a smoke ....he's beer drinker.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Chrimbob/Noo Year leftovers that I had to sample tonight fut memories:

The Spice Tree by Compass Box: butterscotch + cardamom indeed, yum.

Glenfarclas 12: Mustn't Grumble!

Aaaand JW Black- the ol' stand-by (and rumoured to be one of Hitchen's favourites).

I only came into the kitchen to roast a chicken- and look at me now! (hic)

Its great it is. January, cool air to clear the head. Leftovers from December. Robbie Burns there to remind us that flogging the liver, machinery and the wenches remains a mans duty.
Cheers to every one of you

• 1 month later...

These are my two favourites...

http://30122009122.jpg

The Ballentines is blended rather than single malt, but qualifies as it's a blend of single malts aged from 10-21 years and left to mature for a further 15 years in Oak barrels.  Both are limited run selected/special reserves.

Was visiting my Sister in Newton Stewart Scot july of last year and touring around in my rental car headed over the bridge to Skye as opposed to the sea to Skye...anyway was pissing duwn with rain so turned around and ended up in Plockton at the hotel their and after dinner i was in the bar and looking for a wee dram and spied the LochNagar on the shelf which had maybe 1/4 bottle left i orderd one then ended up with the rest of the bottle in front of me. "Nuff said"...finished it and a few others and waddled off to my room plesantly pissed...also brought a bottle of 21 year old Glendronach back with me to B.C.Canada,a mighty fine whiskey it was to.