that bloody farking front UNI joint?

dangerous

how do you clean up

I have used paper and rags. To keep things clean it is advisable also to clean after greasing and not to grease too much. I remember reading from the German V11 site that the "shield collar" came to Daytona for safety reasons. It was added some time during Daytona years and stayed after that. A pic from the rear one (I assume that it is exactly the same as on the front).

Rear.jpg

Same but different. The rear has a small clean collar section on the shaft joining the yoke. In that collar is the nipple for the spline lubing system, whereas the front yoke appears to be welded direct to the front section.

I assume everyone that is doing this greasing procedure cleans te fitting off before they grease the u-joint ?

Injecting whatever crud is on the sprung bearing seal along with fresh grease, would be kinda one step forward, two steps back.

• 2 years later...

I am absolutely and completely certain I got a good dose of RedLine grease in the "that B-F front UNI joint" this time! (swingarm out). :grin:

A long-time '02 LeMans owner noticed that my Zerk faces backward and his faces forward (toward the access hole in the guard).

Could it be that the insanely difficult early-V11 access is because it took a while to tell Luigi he was putting the U-joint in backward? :huh2:

IMG_2740.JPG

When you replace / install u-joints , you want to install joints w/the fitting facing the drive tube . Look at the pic of Docc's bike & this is what you want to see .

@dangerous - yeah, I was *hoping* the slave would bring my clutch back (but it didn't). I actually put it in by only removing the rear wheel and exhaust. That was before peeking in past the back of the crank to see a glimpse of my connecting rods.

@gstallons - So, that U-joint is correct?  Perhaps the guard was designed for the Sport 1100 series and the access hole aligns with that driveshaft?

I've about convinced myself to just pull the swingarm every third rear tire, dose the UNI joints and give the swingarm bearings a good spin.

• Like 1

This winter I am going to have my swing arm off and grease mine. Going to consider splicing the front UJ guard to facilitate post swing arm reinstallation access.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk