Li-Ion battery-which group/model?

speedthril

I'm gonna buy a Shorai for my V11 Rosso Mandello. Which size do I need? The Shorai website didn't include that model in their listings...

Either the BS 12 or BS16. They are both physically the same size I believe, but the 16 has more power. I vote for more power but the 12 should have enough if everything goes as it should.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm gonna buy a Shorai for my V11 Rosso Mandello. Which size do I need? The Shorai website didn't include that model in their listings...

Just fitted a BS 12 to my 1100 Sportie and it spins it up a treat. The main advantage of the larger capacity one in my book would be ability to supply higher cranking amps, and the smaller one seems perfectly capable in that regard. The weight saving is unbelievable. Balance charging these units once in a while is to be reccomended, but shorai chargers are quite pricey, but if you hunt for B6 lipo chargers on Ebay (as used by the RC model crowd) you will find them available easily and cheaply. These can then be reset for the LiFePo chemistry of the Shorai's and will then perform a variety of charge functions. It's a simple push button thing, and if any one wants directions, there are videos on youtube or I will help.

Phil

What does it mean: "balance charging?"

Lithium based batteries tend to give their best when all the cells are charged to exactly the same terminal voltage. Charging a 'battery' with a number of cells wired in series conventionally (e.g. when it is run on a vehicle or charged with a normal charger) does not ensure that this happens, and over a period of time the various cells can end up with markedly different terminal voltages. I think this is probably due to individual cells having slightly different internal resistances, but that's not a factor you need to be concerned about.

On the Shorai batteries, there is a small port, covered with a rubber bung that permits charging of each of the cells within the battery, effectively in isolation, resulting in all the cells remaining/becoming 'balanced'. It is common practice in the radio control fraternity, and modelers often balance charge each and every cycle. For them it is probably more nescessary as the batteries are treated very harshly and taken to extreme levels of charge and discharge in very short periods repeatedly, with high currents in both directions.

Phil