V11 Cafe/Ballabio front fairing

d1jezek

Low-sided in the rain the other day and scuffed up some painted parts.  This one might have been after-market.  I bought her used and mostly thought she was stock, but the mirrors are Rizoma and the hand levers are CRG.  Harper's didn't have this part listed in black with red.  Is it actually unusual? has anyone seen anything like it?vida 001b.JPG 

I was thinking that is the Givi style screen available for the Sports 2002 and on. The early screens are Stucchi and fibergalss.

It may be the same or very similar to the Centauro screen. Come to think of it, didn't Centauro come in that black with red stripe?

• Like 1

There you go! Late model Scura R (likely 2004 production sold into 2005). Pretty rare, I'm thinking, but maybe a world wide search would turn one up (MI, MPH in USA, TLM in Netherlands, HMB - Germany.

Looks the one i your link has a different windscreen and maybe a sticker or decal but otherwise the same fairing.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the fairing/windscreen repainted.  If you're in Houston, by the way, Excel Frame and Front End did a great job matching the paint. My current bit of confusion has come because the mounting brackets seem to be different from stock.  I called Harper's and described what I have and how it differed from the exploded diagram I saw on their site and after a while I was convinced that the woman there had found what i needed.  But it is the part as shown in the diagram and not the mounting hardware on my actual bike. Instead of a central mounting point with two arms supporting the windscreen, what I have are two individual arms which mount at the top of each fork tube. So is this the Givi screen after all? I think I can probably bend the deflicted one back into shape and just repaint it.  Doesn't look broken, just bent to the wrong angle.

Your mounting system sounds like the same one as on the wife's red frame V11sport. It has two brackets that connect to the top triple clamp at the pinch bolts, the connect to the fairing at two of the windscreen bolts. Then there are two bolts that connect the fairing to the headlight bucket mounts.

• Like 1

That describes the front fairing mounting brackets that I bought from Harpers. The Scura mounting means the fairing doesn't turn with the bars it's mounted on an extension to the frame. What I purchased from Harpers mounted to the top triple clamp yet utilizes the Scura fairing.

If you need help making this more confusing let me know!

I don't think any of the factory bikini fairings are frame mounts.  They all hook on the headlight.

I only know of two made specifically for the V11: Guzzi & Stucchi.  They are different with different windshields, I know because my windscreen got broken (I don't know how but I think it got smacked in the parking lot at work) and I almost ordered ordered the wrong after market style windshield from MG but instead I got the factory windshield from MPH.  My bike has the carbon fiber factory bikini fairing.  Stuchhi had a color match.  I've not seen them on the MG website so I wonder if they are no longer available?

I don't think any of the factory bikini fairings are frame mounts.  They all hook on the headlight.

True, yet some V11 variants mounted the headlight and instruments from the frame not the forks: beginning with the 2003 Café Sport then Ballabio, Coppa Italia, Scura R (not the original 2002 Scura)  . . .

A V11 Naked remained available through the end of production that retained the closed fitting Fork mounted bikini faring.

it seems that in order to get the correct bracket for my bike it was necessary to go back to the parts list for the '02 Sport or Ballabio.  Those had the pair of brackets mounted at the forks.  This and the oddity of the tail fairing having the regular LeMans logo led me and the guy at Harpers to wonder about what model this thing is, exactly.  The VIN apparently indicates that she started life as a Nero Corsa, but obviously the front end is different and she has a red tank and a red pillion cover as well.  Possibly the original owner had a catastrophic wreck and she's been rebuilt by cobbling several bikes together. The Nero Corsa part of the story still seems a little odd to me because that model also had red 'pork chops' and cylinder heads and all of that is gray now, so i'm really curious about how much of her is original.  when i bought her she looked pristine and for a long time i thought she was still almost completely stock and my current goal is to pu teverything the way it was before a messed her up, but i feel kind of free now to make whatever choices i want since she's already a frankenstien monster of different year models.

If you can post some photos of the bike, I think we'd be interested in helping out determining the model. Everything you've said so far seems to be a '03+ red sport naked....but you mentioned that the VIN suggests the bike was a Nero Corsa? Is there a list you've found that shows VIN numbers vs. model types? I haven't heard of such a list.

Ahhh, I think I know what reference you are talking about:

ZGUKTB00,ZGUKTB01  

V 11 CAFÈ-BALLABIO 1100 2003-2005

ZGUKT002,ZGUKTA02  

V 11 CAT. 1100 2003-2004

ZGUKT000,ZGUKT001  

V 11 LE MANS 1100 2002

ZGUKS  

V 11 LE MANS/SPORT NAKED 1100 2001-2002

ZGUKR  

V 11 SPORT/MANDELLO 1100 1999-2001

The guy i was talking to at Harper's is the one who told me the VIN is from a Nero Corsa.  I guess they can actually ask the manufacturer or they have a breakdown of which number series go to which models.  i'm not entirely convinced because of how little there is on this bike that would be on one of those.  my VIN starts ZGUKTC0004. Is the letter C the relevant part of the code?