Pilot Road 4 or 4GT (or Angel GT)

Bjor

My Rosso Corsa need new shoes...

I have sort of settled for the new Pilot Road 4 from Michelin, but cannot find any guide telling me if the V11 LeMans should have the Standard or the GT version. The GT version is ment for heavier and powerful bikes such as the BMW R 1200RT, which comes with the GT as standard equipment.

The dry weight of the BMW is the same as the Rosso Corsa. The wet weight of the BMW is as much as 52 kg more than its dry weight, and since I never ride with a passanger, I feel that my RC might fall into the Standard group and not the GT...

Anyone with experience (or qualified opinions) here?

An excellent alternative is of course the Pirelli Angel GT...

don't know anythings about those tires, but I can say that I'm very happy with my Avon Storm 2 Ultra rubber.

I'm liking the Pirelli GT. Much better for the V11 than all of the other Pirellis I've used up. I suppose she qualifies in the "heavier and powerful bikes" with all the weight and torque through that rear tire.

Haven't seen the new Pilot Road GT by Michelin. I didn't care for the hard compound of the first generation Pilot Roadrash. :o

Jacta alea est... :oldgit:

I have ordered the Pilot Road 4, standard version (since I found out that this is recommended for the Griso).

The reason is the outstanding test results this tire gets on wet and slippery roads (painted stripes, etc), even better than the Angel GT...

I have previously had the PR2s, and I also found them a bit too hard. The PR 4 tires however, are using a dual compund technology with softer compound on the sides, and the rear tire also has a center line of hard compound for long milage.

Anyway, I am sure both tires are more than good enough for me and my riding, - time will show...

I have just had a pair of the Pilot 3's fitted to my other bike (Triumph Trophy 1200 - 2001), this is a big top heavy tourer.

First impressions are very good, rounder profile, steers much better, corners better and the ride feels more compliant.

PR3 or 4 will be fitted to the V11 Ballabio when the tyres are beyond their useful life.

I have PR3 on my Bandit and had them on my V11 Sport.  The rear wore out on my Sport sooner that I would've guessed.  I replaced it with a Angel GT.  I have been running PR1-2-3 on my Bandit.  Haven't run enough miles on my Bandit to know if PR3 was an isolated problem vs PR3 on the Sport.  

Funny. the PR4 have come out so soon after PR3.

...Funny. the PR4 have come out so soon after PR3.

I seem to recall a test where the tester preferred the PR2 to the PR3.

Maybe Michelin found some important room for improvement...

• Like 1

Timely topic. I'm about to replace the tires on my ST1300 from the PR2's  (got 19,000 kms on the set) to the PR4 GT Mainly because the PR3 seems to have inconsistent wear issues for such a heavy bike,330 kilos wet. My Rosso  Corsa has Pirelli's for now but I'd be happy with the regular PR4  as it's so much lighter  than the Honda.   Cheers Marty :mg:

I mounted PR4s on my Nero Corsa and after 1500 miles think they are excellent....I also have them on my 2014 R1200RT (currently "grounded"),  as standard fitment, though those are the GT version. Either version is highly recommended.

Weston

• 11 months later...

I'm due for a new set of tires and am thinking about the PR4s. I noticed a number of suppliers don't carry a 170/60 in the standard PR4, only the PR4gt. Our bikes aren't especially light, but I'm not sure they are in the heavy sport touring class that the gt tire is intended for. Anyone have additional thoughts on these tires in the year since the last post?

Dan

The GT is certainly for heavier touring bikes.  I've got the standard PR4s on my Yamaha FJR1300 which is much heavier than my V7 Sport.  

So I just fitted a (standard)  PR4 on the front of my Sport, and the rear will follow as that tire wears out.  

Stuart

I have PR3 on my Bandit and had them on my V11 Sport.  The rear wore out on my Sport sooner that I would've guessed.  I replaced it with a Angel GT.  I have been running PR1-2-3 on my Bandit.  Haven't run enough miles on my Bandit to know if PR3 was an isolated problem vs PR3 on the Sport.  

Funny. the PR4 have come out so soon after PR3.

replaced the Angel & PR with a new set of Dunlop Roadsmart Qualifiers.  

I've got PR3's on my rosso mandello and I'm very happy with them. 12000+ ks on a rear and 18000 on the front and still lots of life, plenty of grip.I can run the PR3 right round to the sidewall no problems,  previous pirelli gave around 5000 on rear and bridgestone 6000 rear 8000 front.  I only hope the PR4 are a good as or better tyre.

I have a little over 1000 miles on my new set or PR4s and I am very happy with them. They hold the road well in dry and wet conditions.