Can fuel injectors really leak?

Guzzirider

I rode Helen's V11 Sport to work yesterday because she had been complaining it was running badly at low revs. Sure enough, it was coughing and spluttering and when I got home I noticed a strong smell of fuel and a leak below the right hand injector.

I have just taken the tank and airbox off so I can get to all the fuel hose clamps but everything is tight so I am wondering whether injectors themselves can leak?

I have read a few old posts on here that seem to indicate this can be the case.

Any thoughts or suggestions boys and girls?

Cheers

Guy :helmet:

Yes, they can leak ...start the bike and let it idle a while. shut it off and get the baby powder out and start applying it until you find the wet spot(s) .

Leaking or in this case probably seeping injectors are quite common. Their moving internals are rather small and sensitive. I had this some years ago, the left header inside was white, the other side black, caused by a worn injector on the right side.

Pull the injectors and pressurise the system (turn ignition on so that the pump primes). Having them outwards bent you can even press the starter button. A seeping nozzle should become visible that way.

Leaking O-rings shouldn't affect the fueling/running.

Hubert

Hi Guy

not had an injector leak but I did have a nasty incident where the supply pipe to the regulator slit and sprayed petrol vapour everywhere. Couldn't understand why everybody got out of my way as I pulled into the local bike caff......... might be worth checking for split pipes too rather than the injectors. As these are the same as used on various cars in Europe, and I have never seen a leaking injector, it would seem more likely.

The leak didn't affect the running of my bike either.... certainly made me run once I realised what was happening.

Cheers

Guzz

Thanks for all your comments. It must have been something else causing the fuel leak because when I put everything back together she mysteriously started to run perfectly again and stopped leaking fuel. May have been something as simple as a slightly loose connection to the fuel pressure regulator, which sits not too far behind the right hand injector.

A happy ending- but thank you to everyone who chipped in with advice.