The Astro is a rebuild effort stalled for years at the 90% level (still need to redo the Lockhart rear brake master cylinder).  I wanted to put it up on the mantel, but SWMBO didn't warm to that idea.  Will probably raffle it off someday to someone who wants to complete the journey, have two guys locally dropping hints. The Sherpa T I bought maybe thirty years ago with sixty-some miles on the odometer (now still sitting unmolested on the lower left fork leg!).  I put on another thirty miles screwing around in my driveway before retiring it to the rear of the garage.  It's near showroom new (not a mark on the skid plate!), other than a slight rash on the muffler box where I dropped it once.  I did do a lot of trail riding over the years, but on Yamaha and KTM scooters. 

• Like 1

I would love to see Honda bring back the naked Goldwing.  One of my favorite bikes was my 78 GL1000.  An updated version of this with a massive 6cylinder engine would be one badass machine.

14787592-orig.jpg

That's kinda what they went for with the Valkyrie. A naked Goldwing. They nailed it in the 90s and early 2000s but went flat with the one I got (love or hate styling) .

However they're cruisers. Imagine if Honda put that motor in a sportier standard aimed at say the BMW RS or the K bikes... It would be a winner.

• 2 months later...

A 2013 Husqvarna TE310R magically appeared in my garage. It's a red-headed, 240 pound, street legal, fuel-injected 4-stroke... and one of the last Italian-made Huskys.  Nicely set up by previous owner and only 1,000 miles on it. And a kick-starter... I like kickers.

IMG_8640.jpg

IMG_8641.jpg

• Like 3

Something about firing up a bike with a kick starter! Although I’m sure that husky takes a bit more leg and skill than my 6.5:1 two stroke.

I have a buddy at work with 450 (?) version of that bike. They are one of the few ds bikes, that to me are so good looking.

Yeah, kickers are cool. The new Husqvarnas are fine looking too - the white/blue/yellow ones behind my red one are an FE350S and 701 Enduro.  All street legal.

I've never had a kicker on a fuel-injected motorcycle before. It fires like clockwork on the third time when cold. It seems like it needs two kicks to get the fuel pressurized.

I would love to see Honda bring back the naked Goldwing.  One of my favorite bikes was my 78 GL1000.  An updated version of this with a massive 6cylinder engine would be one badass machine.

14787592-orig.jpg

This was my buddy's first bike back in college, and he rode that thing all over the country.  It was a great bike.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Docc - I'm looking forward to the ride report. That is a seriously cool bike. While you're at it, take a look at the Ducati Scrambler series, especially theDesert Sled.

You guys know what a V11 devotee I am, but this has me a bit buzzed up . . .

indian-scout-ftr1200-custom-8.jpg?qualit

Im interested in this too. Almost to the point of parting with one of my V11s for one. I like it more than the Monster.

• Like 1

It’s very cool to see something interesting coming from the states. It could be on a short list of new bikes I’d own.

Really though after swinging a leg over a 790 Duke yesterday I’m a bit smitten.

https://goo.gl/images/rthmGh

I am not sure about the looks of the 790 Duke, but I love its attitude. It would be on my short list if I kept such a list.

I only had two previous motorcycles, an early 90s very yellow Yamaha Seca II (Diversion) and 1989 FJ 1200 in blue/gold.

The Seca II was a great beginner motorcycle which I didn't keep very long, but still kind of miss.   This guy has done surprisingly great things with the underappreciated Seca II.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-forgotten-yamaha-seca-ii.1080212/

The FJ 1200 was the first bike I really put serious miles on, riding all over the western USA.  It really was a great motorcycle, fast, comfortable, good range, and reliable... although a bit top heavy for my height which led to many humorous tip-overs  :glare:

Unfortunately I don't think I have a photo of either, as that was in between the age of real film cameras and digital photography, and we had a significant hard drive crash around 2005 that lost a lot of photos  :(

• Like 1