:nopic:

This is a pic of my two Ducati racebikes.

The one on the left with the number 1 on it is a mixture of a Fabian Cortez replica Ducati Sport and a Ducati 750 SS. The motor is Cortez replica (with a bunch of extra work done to it) and the frame is from a 750 SS.

The one on the right is the motor from the 750 SS (also with a lot of work done to it) in a custom built Harris Sound of Singles chassis. It was actually featured in an article in American Roadracing back in 1995, although I forget the exact date (you can see the article framed hanging in the background).

The Cortez replica was a limited run, but the other is perhaps one of two in this country. But I have only heard rumors of the existence of the other one. I know it took a fair amount of work to get that motor to fit in that chassis.

TheGirlsReduced.jpg

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...

I've been switiching back and forth between the V11 and Norton lately.  Both make the commute to work a blast.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, plexiform said:

I've been switiching back and forth between the V11 and Norton lately.  Both make the commute to work a blast.

I was wondering how similar those two bike are. I've only briefly ridden a modern Norton (more use to a vintage one). Similar displacement and power output.

7 hours ago, swooshdave said:

I was wondering how similar those two bike are. I've only briefly ridden a modern Norton (more use to a vintage one). Similar displacement and power output.

They feel very different but equally exhilarating.  V11 feels heavy like its moving along with the inertia of a freight train.  The Norton feels very light and nimble.  When at speed and wanting to punch it, the V11 has more ‘umpf’.  Riding position on the Norton is superb.  More upright, foot pegs are wider set and sitting feels very natural and no stress points even after a long ride.  I highly recommend a modern Norton although it seems to have even more quirks than the V11.  But a very solid online community exists for Norton owners which is something I was worried about when I got the bike because I had become used to having this forum so ready to help when issues came up.  I think owning any specialty motorcycle these days without good online community support would be very difficult.  

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

OK, you beat me to it. I've been tracking these ^^ hard for 2 months. Been so close twice. Rode one last weekend and loved it. Waiting on a trade-in coming in this week (hope). Curious to know what "brought you" to this??

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A 1987 EX500A1 (GPz500S) that I bought from my BIL for $450 in 1999. He fell down at about 20mph in a paving area and never rode again. A few things straightened out and here she is. I put Progressive springs in the forks, tapered rollers in the steering head, jet kit/K&N, additional airbox snorkel, some well-made and long-lived Cobra F1 slipons and later on, a pair of WebCam 245 hard-weld cams. Dang near the ideal commuter bike, as it is quick enough to stay well ahead of traffic and the engine has a sweet spot at about 7K or 80mph/120kph. I know it will do 120mph. If it would do 121, I'd tell you. Actually a pretty roomy bike for 500cc, as the wheelbase is only 2" shorter than my Ballabio.

EX500A1%20copy.jpg

• Like 2
13 hours ago, po18guy said:

A 1987 EX500A1 (GPz500S) that I bought from my BIL for $450 in 1999. He fell down at about 20mph in a paving area and never rode again. A few things straightened out and here she is. I put Progressive springs in the forks, tapered rollers in the steering head, jet kit/K&N, additional airbox snorkel, some well-made and long-lived Cobra F1 slipons and later on, a pair of WebCam 245 hard-weld cams. Dang near the ideal commuter bike, as it is quick enough to stay well ahead of traffic and the engine has a sweet spot at about 7K or 80mph/120kph. I know it will do 120mph. If it would do 121, I'd tell you. Actually a pretty roomy bike for 500cc, as the wheelbase is only 2" shorter than my Ballabio.

EX500A1%20copy.jpg

I like that, down to the F1 pipes.

Takes me back.......

On 10/22/2019 at 7:07 PM, po18guy said:

EX500A1%20copy.jpg

Very nice bike.

43 yrs ago my very first street bike, a KZ400, was a grandfather to this model. 

I volunteer with the VRRA (vintage road racing association), that model bike is one of their favorite track bikes.

Recently one of the best engine builders, Jamie Barkley? had a "very" worked on EX500 track bike for sale; I forget all the engine work and power numbers, but what was very impressive and would make it a blast to ride; he had the weight down to 325 lbs.

They have a reputation for being an excellent, reliable, very easy to live with race bike.

Enjoy it, it looks like a sweet ride.

Kelly 

• Like 1

Thank you. I had never thought about getting one until my BIL put his up for sale. For those of us who grew up in the 60s, the Dunstall Norton was the fire-breathing superbike. The EX is almost exactly as quick and fast. How times change. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1