iSLE OF mAN.

rich46

Hello everyone,

Don't often get time to post to the site but I thought that maybe you all could offer some advise.  Just got back from the Manx GP.  (what a rush)  we ran a Suzuki GSXR in the Senior and with an E-Bay motor got a finish.  And that leads to why this post.  I would like to run a Moto Guzzi in the Classic next year mostly because there was only one Guzzi in this years event and I really like them.  Based on the rules looks like I should be looking at a bike produced prior to 01/Jan//87 so my question to you all is two fould what would be the best choice for the build (Le Mans III ?) and any idea what a reasonable price for a doner bike to start on would be?  Oh and one other question is there anywhere I can find a list of what final drive ratios are out there and what bikes they will work with?  I have been reading all I can including Dr.John's story and can't seem to find the info I'm looking for.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Rich

There's a reason there isnt many guzzi's at the TT, have a guess.

I'll give you a few clues to get you started.......... fat,slow,shaft drive, handle like pigs.

That should get you on the right track.

Ciao 

Hey Phil,

Yea hear you but love is strange.  One thing that the Isle of Man has taught me.  If reason had anything to do with it I'd be playing golf.  Thanks for the input  "but" I will forge ahead.

Rich

Well the IOM taught me that you need a bullit proof reliable bike with forgiving handling that the rider wont be fighting the whole way around because it will wear him out and then he will make errors that may kill him.

Oh and an engine that you think is reliable at club or even national short circuit level may well not be at the island.

Wide open down Sulby Straight for miles skipping off the bumps destroys engines and transmissions.

Not really the place to indulge your abandonment of reason.

Just my opinion mind.

Ciao 

There's a reason there isnt many guzzi's at the TT, have a guess.

I'll give you a few clues to get you started.......... fat,slow,shaft drive, handle like pigs.

That should get you on the right track.

Ciao 

Probably why they got they're butt kicked at Daytona in the BOTT.Oh wait ,they won. This is what you want http://www.odd-bike.com/2013/03/moto-guzzi-mgs-01-cooking-goose.html but a built up Daytona would be within reach and quite competent in a Classic race.

Let's get this in perspective.  The OP is looking at running the Manx GP- not the TT.  He's not looking for a spine frame, 4 valver or MGS-01.   This is the vintage racing for bikes manufactured prior to 1987.

Certainly a 1000 LeMans would be a formidable ride and should be competitive with any Euro or Japanese bike from the era.

Just to add bit more information that may help to understand our plan to race a MG in next years Manx.  First We're not total newbes in the racing world.  I raced and build race cars for forty years and now am retired and building Cafe Racers for fun and profit.  The rider in this years Manx has 18 years on the island with over 50 TT and Manx starts.  We sat down one night and added it up and best we can guess he has about 1000 laps on the course.

As Phil sugjested we showed up with a full pop, "pop" being the pivital word GSXR and promply blew a fist sized hole in the engine.  We did finish the race on an engine we picked up off e-bay that was for the most part stock.

So the reasoning on the MG idea.  No one is really racing one on the Island.  Next year we plan to field two bikes one in the senior and one in the 600 class.  Doing well on this course is all about track time and track time is hard to get.  We wanted to pick a third bike to run in the classic races and we we're hearing things like the engine torque will make the thing unridable (?????) so we started looking at what would confront us if we rode a MG.  After this years races we stayed on the IOM to load up and had time lap the course many times.  We think that the MG may very well be in it's sweet spot with all the long curving straights.  I must also add that being a bit of an odd ball it will get us some extra ink just because no one else is really racing one.

I want to thank you all for your imput and please keep it up.  This is something we have decided to undertake and are still working out what model Guzzi to pick that will fit the rules to the best of our advantage.

Rich

Whenever someone mentions racing a Guzzi there always seems to be at least a few people out there who say either it can't be done or it would not work well.

Personally I know it can be done and I have seen it work very well from the other side. I have raced against, and sometimes lost to (and I did not loose often) a couple Moto Guzzi's. They typically get a displacement advantage due to the pushrods, and as you go older they compare more favorably to other brands (i.e., they were not so out dated back then).

The Tonti frame bikes have a good reputation for handling. The two bikes I raced against (I was on a Ducati) were LeMans based bikes. They were fast.

Rich, I am sure the larger community at Wild Guzzi would love to keep up with this project.  We have vintage Bonneville, flat track and road racers that have run or are still running vintage Guzzis on the board.  

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php

That's where the big Guzzi community hangs out and knows the ins and outs on the classic and new bikes bikes.  

The other cites I listed are great for racing parts, services and technical knowledge.  

Let's get this in perspective.  The OP is looking at running the Manx GP- not the TT.  He's not looking for a spine frame, 4 valver or MGS-01.   This is the vintage racing for bikes manufactured prior to 1987.

Certainly a 1000 LeMans would be a formidable ride and should be competitive with any Euro or Japanese bike from the era.

Bummer as the Daytonas would be just a little too late for that.