EICMA 1997

docc

Does anyone remember when the V11 Sport was shown at EICMA in 1997? I cut out a little picture of a black Sport from a cycle mag (probably Cycle World) and hung it on the wall for three years before I found my prize in August 2000. (Pretty typical Moto Guzzi three year delay . . .) :mg:

I've tried to track down some internet photos from then, but with little success.

Anyone have a link from that Dark Age of the Internet of the Moto Guzzi display?

• Like 1

Haha, yes, I remember liking the Ippogrifo - I guess it went on to become the various V7 we now enjoy.

I suppose 1997 was too early for an internet archive.

Although, chamberlin, sometimes bike show girls may show some portion of the bikes . . . so that would be ok, too!

As for being 15 in 1997, well, that just pisses me off! :oldgit:

That is a very nice review I have never seen. :thumbsup:

I suppose Moto Guzzi may have been too poor to hire pretty Italian models in 1997 and the rest of us were too poor to go to EICMA or perhaps even buy film then. :blush:

Times change and I need another Pirelli . . .

This is the photo I cut out so many years ago, but I'm not sure where it came from. Maybe Motorcyclist magazine. I am only now seeing the small fairing that I do not think is the Stucchi I ended up with from Moto Guzzi.

DSCN1620.JPG

• 1 month later...

I DO remember the arrival of the V11Sport at the EICEMA show in 1997. I happened to be in Italy Nov/Dec and I bought a copy of a fat glossy motorcycle magazine called something like Motocyclismo even though I couldn't read a word of Italian. This was one magazine I admit that I bought for the pictures!

I came across the newly announced V11Sport prototype? and immediately fell in Amore. The bike was due to be released 'within months' but it took 3 years before I saw one in the flesh. I too carried a picture of the show bike in my wallet for all that time and indeed for years later.

I already knew I had to have one but I was disappointed that the production models had dropped the red wheels (matching the frame) so, as this was my B'day prezzie to myself I had the dealer remove the wheels and sent sent them of to be powder coated red to match the original prototype displayed in 1999. I have no idea why they were changed as the red wheels just look completely 'right' to me.

I am struggling to get this image to the right size but it is a photo of the show bike including (in addition to the red wheels) carbon fibre cans and flywheel cover. The bike also appears on the cover of Ian Falloons "THe Moto Guzzi Story" from 1999.

I bought it in September 2000 and still have it today. Once I have figured out how to upload some pictures I will share some.

regards David

20141106_222041.jpeg?resizeSmall&width=1

Great story! As I recall, the prototype was solo saddled and still had a five speed gearbox . . .

(can't seem to open that photo . . .)

Some prototype renderings:

Marabese Design V10 concept.

V10_Sport_prototype.jpg

Marabese Design V11 LeMans concept. It's pretty easy to Photo Shop a fairing onto a picture of a 2000 V11 Sport green meanie - for them, I couldn't do it!

These two prints were auctioned off by Marabese Design about ten years ago. I lost on the V10 but won the V11 LeMans concept print. It's less impressive in person but still something that looks good hanging on the wall in the den. Which it did before I moved. Now I don't which box it's in.

LeMans_Prototype.gif