Is it the relay?

stewgnu

Bad contact at the bulb.  (A wiggle of which brought it back).  I've a tail tidy fitted that doesn't allow the light unit to sit quite right.

I think it's probably copping for a whole lot of shake rattle and roll back there as there are a few cracks appeared in the plastic.

Picked up a relay anyway so got a spare wrapped up up under the seat now. :thumbsup:

The running light part of the tail light has a separate power source than the brake light part of the tail light as I recall. So if you loose both, it is not likely a relay in my experience.

I seem to recall on of the two aspect of the tail light takes power from the same relay as the headlight, and loosing that is often a relay issue. I don't remember if it is the brake light or the running light that shares power with the head light, but one of them does.

The running light part of the tail light has a separate power source than the brake light part of the tail light as I recall. So if you loose both, it is not likely a relay in my experience.

I seem to recall on of the two aspect of the tail light takes power from the same relay as the headlight, and loosing that is often a relay issue. I don't remember if it is the brake light or the running light that shares power with the head light, but one of them does.

True, that. The tail light is on fuse 6 with no relay. While the brake light has to get its power like the headlamp (and other circuits) through both the first (starter) relay and the second (headlamp) relays.

The copper contacts deep in the taillight assembly are notorious for getting soft and flat and loosing contact with the bulb. Reaching in with an angled probe and giving them both a sharp bend to press well against the bulb contacts may be necessary.

Electrical flow for dummies (like me).

Cheers Fellas, That's helpful information- I like to think that one day I'll look at a wiring diagram and fully understand it!

Stew

I don't think it's possible, to fully understand Luigi's wiring.

True, that. The tail light is on fuse 6 with no relay. While the brake light has to get its power like the headlamp (and other circuits) through both the first (starter) relay and the second (headlamp) relays.

The copper contacts deep in the taillight assembly are notorious for getting soft and flat and loosing contact with the bulb. Reaching in with an angled probe and giving them both a sharp bend to press well against the bulb contacts may be necessary.

Just remember to power OFF the rear light before prodding with anything metalic, or you will soon find you need a fuse replacing too!

Phil

Cheers Fellas, That's helpful information- I like to think that one day I'll look at a wiring diagram and fully understand it!

Stew

I don't think it's possible, to fully understand Luigi's wiring.

You all need to look at a German automobile wiring diagram for a couple of hours............................

Actually the spine frame bikes have the best wiring IMHO, other Guzzis are a spaghetti factory of unfused wires.

All the V11 circuits go through a fuse before heading off into the main looms.

As others have pointed out there are no relays in the tail-light, it's on a separate set of ignition switch contacts along with the small lamp in the headlight and idiot lights so it can be left on with the ignition in Park position and key withdrawn.

Does anyone ever use the Park lights?

Update: Docc pointed out the idiot lights are not powered in Park position, just the gauge lamps.

You all need to look at a German automobile wiring diagram for a couple of hours............................

Haa!  Yes indeed, at the very least- It's only a bike!  How complicated can it be? :)

... I use the parking lights the same way i forget to remove my disc lock before moving off  ...  :whistle:

. . . .As others have pointed out there are no relays in the tail-light, it's on a separate set of ignition switch contacts along with the small lamp in the headlight and idiot lights so it can be left on with the ignition in Park position and key withdrawn.

At least on the early V11, that circuit through Fuse 6 lights the low watt bulb in the headlamp (sometimes called "city lamp"), the tail lamp, tag light, and the instrument illumination, but not the "warning" lights (aka "idiot lights" or system indicators) which light through Fuse 5 and the Headlamp Relay.

Just to wrap this one up neatly:

The problem of intermittent functioning of the light was solved in the end by disassembling the whole unit, giving everything a good clean and reassembling.

So all's well now and, due to preliminary concerns for relays/fuses/bulbs, I've a stash of spares bubble-wrapped up with the toolkit.

Ta for the various leccy tips and pointers. :thumbsup:

Stew.