dead battery ?

GraeV11

As I sit here at the roadside waiting for a van to pick up the bike thought I would ask for a lead on my prob. The bike has been running fine bar last week when it suddenly cut out at 60mph. I coasted to a stop and affer some extended wiggling of wires and flicking the kill switch a few times it finally fired up and all was good. Have done about a hundred miles since. Today after a few hours riding in heavy traffic I parked up. The bike was very hot. Half an hour later it fired up again but would not idle and just kept cutting out. The battery is flat at 11v. On a jump start the battery is not taking any charge but is very hot. Idiot lights do not indicate a problem. It is a two year old odyssey battery. Where to look first ? Or should I just ditch the battery ?

Are you using a digital meter to see what you are using for reference ? The battery should show at least 12.5 v with the ign. switch off. If it is properly charging it will show between 13.0 v & 14.5 v around 1500 rpm. 

If your battery is hot to the touch it probably has problems . Is the battery still under warranty and or can you install another to make it home ?

The 1st thing to check is the battery connections.  A slightly loose connection on a throbbing V11 can produce the "cutting out" symptoms you describe. 

+1 on that. A loose battery connection also recently blew my 30 amp "main" fuse (have look at that, too).

Sounds like charging issues for sure.

Is the headlight ON?

It will not charge if the relay is not energized and the Start relay must be a 5 pin type.

Without the engine running but key on you should see full battery Voltage on the black wire at regulator.

Open circuit AC Voltage on the two alternator wires when you blip the throttle?

If it's not over 50 take the cover off and inspect where the wires attach.

Inspect the 30 Amp fuse and the alternator bullet connectors for signs of discolouration.

Any sign of darker plastic is an indication of resistance causing heat.

Add a ground wire from the regulator case to a timing cover screw, the case must be well grounded.

The little one Luigi put there is not good enough, some V11s are badly grounded.

Top up the battery with a charger to check it's ok.

I sent you a PM

Roy

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all, and special thanks to Roy and his huge help by PM, I am back on the road. It was solved by adding the new ground wire to the regulator casing and checking over every connector I could get my hands on. Bike actually runs a lot smoother than before (or is that my post-fix imagination ?). I now have 12.7V across the battery with ignition off (after a re-charge) and 13.85V at 1500rpm :thumbsup:

Now if it would just stop raining . . .