soft brake pedal- bad wheel bearing

docc

That happened to me a while back, I was heading for a campout on a recently aquired EV. I heard a squawk from the front end, this is what I found.

558c4a6a-7cdb-4aff-87f1-65f673c9449b_zps

I rode back about 60 miles on just one front bearing. The shop I found had just one Chinese bearing.

The next day I bought 4, it's not worth ruining a trip for a $7 bearing.

The guy at the shop was surprised Guzzi don't have a proper seal to protect the bearing.

Yea, I think the "FF" in your bearing means double dust seal. But I think Roy is talking about an actual rubber 'boot' or flange that stops dirt from even getting near the bearing.

Glad you got the $22 bearing! :thumbsup:

Ok, I get that. Like how the seals in a fork also have a "dust seal?"

You guys are so kind to make me feel better about paying $22 for a $7 part . . . :mellow:

docc, don't mean to hi-jack this thread but i gotta know...how many speedos & shift pawl springs it takes to go 92,000 miles?

Ok - that's good stuff!

I'm on my third speedo. The first was replaced under warranty for wagging at highway speeds (just under 27,000 miles) and the second lost it's trip odometer (44,000 miles). Several bevel drives are in the mix there, too! I reckon there's a SpeedHut in my future! (Just turned 20,000 miles on this 3rd Veglia speedo).

The original gearbox might have run it's pawl spring forever, but not it's "sliding dogs." The warranty replacement gearbox (after ~30,000 miles/ 3 years) popped its pawl spring after 4 years/27,000 miles. The replacement gearbox was 2002 mfg which (I believe) is over-represented in the spring failures.

38,000 miles on that spring now, but let's pretend, for VooDoo purposes, that we never had this conversation. :unsure:

(I see lots of rounding error in those numbers, but you get the idea!)

That happened to me a while back, I was heading for a campout on a recently aquired EV. I heard a squawk from the front end, this is what I found.

558c4a6a-7cdb-4aff-87f1-65f673c9449b_zps

I rode back about 60 miles on just one front bearing. The shop I found had just one Chinese bearing.

The next day I bought 4, it's not worth ruining a trip for a $7 bearing.

The guy at the shop was surprised Guzzi don't have a proper seal to protect the bearing.

In your picture the seal is next to the fork tube .

• Thanks 1

Guzzi's Warranty dept. must not have liked you Docc.

The 2000 Sport had a (rare) three year warranty. My dealer, 125 miles away, developed the confidence that I could install the parts and return the defective to him : Win-win!

I hope he doesn't mind my broadcasting this world-wide, but if you ever meet Ben Curlin give him a big solid handshake as you've just met a very fine gentleman and an excellent person. I'll always admire the way he stood by me as a customer and an enthusiast in spite of the hassles MGNA threw his way. Service way beyond the call of duty! :notworthy:

Interesting thread and ill pass on a related tip. My ST2 had very vauge steering and after I had done a few thousand KLMs on it ( it was bought this way from a friend)it developed an annoying habit of variable front brake lever freeplay.

Thinking I had a master cylinder on the way out i was prepairing to replace that and decided on a new front tyre to correct the vauge steering.

When I pulled the front wheel the wheel bearings were toast. Not bad enough to be scary but enough to give about a millimeter of play at the rim. This was causing the brake pads to be pushed back into the calipers under diffewrent conditions( so when you pulled up in a straight line at the lights the pads supported the bearings and you had decent lever when you tried them when stopped. Go around a corner and then brake and the lever had freeplay again after the disks had pushed the pads back due to the wheel movement) it was also the reason for the steering issues.

Just something to bear in mind for the future. New wheel bearings fixed both issues completely.

Ciao 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,aren't you the "What to do with the rear wheel off" guy?

Heh, yeah :blush: -

I was just getting ready to do all that stuff. Decided to run that rear tire a few more hundred miles. One more reason to change tires early and often!

Not read every post so may dup'. Tough.

I know you say you have bleed last year, but when did you last change it?

Some fluids go off and spongy.

Try changing it. Worked for me.