soft brake pedal- bad wheel bearing

docc

I thought (hoped) I would try to bleed it again and that's when i found the bad wheel bearing. The wobbly wheel was pushing the pistons back into the caliper.

Thinking back I can recall a tapping sensation at times through the left footpeg. I passed it off.

Should have inspected closely instead! :blush:

• Like 1

Haha, yeah: I resemble this remark:

"Figured I could get a few rides in before looking at shaft/bearings,et all.
Hope we all learn a thing or two from my good luck."

mznyc, thanks for the, er, encouragement . . . with the rear wheel off for a tire change, I found the right bearing a bit rough. After cleaning it out entirely, it was definitely 'notchy' and I replaced it. :thumbsup:   Looks like it was original to the bike (14 years/92,600 miles).

As it turns out, the left side rear wheel bearing has been replaced a third time: first at ~14,000 miles, second after another ~35,000, and now after ~40,000.

I would guess that the left side rear bearing is somehow under greater strain but I don't know why . . . maybe just more exposure to the spray and weather?

Now, I'm trying to follow my own advice . . . while the rear wheel is off . . . B)

• 2 months later...

After years of looking at Guzzi wheels with cheap 2RS ball races for bearings imagine my surprise when I pulled the wheels apart on my 72 Eldorado to find tapered rollers with a proper dedicated seal.

I think it's a good idea to have at least one spare bearing with you when traveling any distance.