Le Mans V11 2002 Not Starting

MikeDelta

I'm on a 2 weeks business trip, never tried any attemp so far.

Thanks to Roy I got how to test/star the pump from the relay bay and disconnect the ECU before.

I Will also disconnect the 30 Amp fuse while charging the battery in the future.

MikeDelta

Dears,

This afternoon I took off the Ecu and connected 30 and 87 in relay 5 listening to the fuel pump, but nothing happend. I havent investigated further with the multimeter, I realize that is time to think about a workshop.

As I'm courious I enclose two photos of what is under the Ecu. There are two bullets connectors (female if I remember correctly) not conncted and another wire with a black cap. Do you know what thet are for?

Thanks

cd9378a914f85a29915c1ea038e6f7f9.jpg19239d3a9569e3dbd2b83e08242475ae.jpg

MikeDelta

The one with the cap is the communications port for reading or writing the ecu, the two bullet connectors are unused. One is a switched plus (connected to the pump, coils and injectors IIRC), the other one is ground. Maybe they're just a leftover from the times when ecus sent out blink codes (3 short, 3 long, 3 short for instance, just to get the idea of it ;) )

Hubert

With the ECU plug removed measure the 87 terminal of the relay to the chassis should read quite low, perhaps 1 or 2 Ohms if the fuel pump is connected. If the reading is high the pump is either not connected or it's faulty, remove the tank and check right at the pump terminals. While at the pump you can also check the wires between 87 and the pump + terminal, the pump - terminal to chassis also 

If 87 to the chassis reads ok check that terminal 30 of the relay is alive (12 Volts) with your multimeter, try this also while you place the jumper between 30 & 87.

Please excuse a silly question, when you turn the key ON does the headlight turn ON?

It must also stay on when you jumper 30 to 87 of relay No 5

I'm just trying to understand why the pumps not running when you jumper relay 5, I thought the Voltage on pin 30 may have been missing.

I measured the current between 30 & 87 it reads ~4 Amps, you do not need the key ON to do this test.

A few easy tests you can do.

1) You must get 12 Volts on the coil pin of relay 4, without that the ECU will not work and the bike will never start. Check the kill switch or side-stand circuit.

2) You can measure the fuel pump resistance from Relay 5  87 contact to chassis, it should be just over 1 Ohm proving the wiring is ok.

3) If you have an ammeter you can measure the pump current at Relay 5, about 4 Amps. If you don't have a suitable meter just poke a short wire between the 30 & 87 contacts and listen for the pump. (you don't need the key ON to do this test)

Other tests

The 30 contact of both relays must be alive at all times, even with the key OFF

With relay 5 out. and the ECU plugged in put your multimeter on Volts in the socket where relay 5 coil pins go. When you turn the key ON you should get a 2 second 12 Volt pulse.

ECURelayTesting_zps2bf90475.jpg

Make sure you have the battery installed with the Negative terminal to chassis. I know this sounds silly but I helped an owner recently who had the battery in backwards. It was easy to do in his case because the battery was a universal type with 4 posts.

The Safety diode on relay 4 prevents the relay powering up the ECU in this case.

Thanks,

As the rest of the bike electrical system is working properly I assume that the battery is correctly connected.

I contacted the dealer, who sold the bike, for sorting out the problem.

MikeDelta

• 3 weeks later...

Gents,

The shop contacted me this afternoon after solving the problem.

The connectors under the fuse box had one connection recessed from its position.

It was a time consuming research.

Could be that the bike was defective from the factory or the previous owner worked on that connection for some reasons.

Has someone already experienced it?

MikeDelta

That's great news Massimo,

I haven't seen that problem before but I have seen a relay socket pushed out the back and just touching.

Hopefully you have learned some electrickery along the way.

Roy

"Moto Guzzi, making Electricians out of riders for over 90 years"

Today I rode back home the bike from the workshop. A 300km trip, the bike run well , even smoother than last summer when it was hot. A joy to ride. A minor imperfection was the rev gauge with a misty glass, when I hauled her the rain was terrible. But it solved itself near home.

On the way I stopped in Sirmione on the Garda lake, a nice and ancient town even back to the Romans. I enclose the photos.52635c0c9c6a2aa73f1f1bf5a56646e3.jpg03154a087dddd61dc22eb203c77bccc7.jpg

MikeDelta

• Like 1