Daytona and Sport 1100 Production Numbers

Blueboarhound

I came across this recently and posted it on WG Forum, I thought I'd post it here also. I have no idea how accurate it is, perhaps someone here knows. I did wonder if the 20 Dr. John editions built for the British market are lumped into the 100 built in '95. I remember talking to someone back in the late '90's at Moto Guzzi (when they were in NC.) and he was able to tell me how many Sport 1100's of each color, by year, came to the US. I wish I would have retained that information but production numbers just wasn't something I was interested in back then. Besides, I'm sure all I heard was blah, blah, blah, silver, blah, blah, blah,.....

Daytona 1000

1992: 486

1993: 283

1994: 155

1995: 100

Daytona 1000 Racing

1996: 100

Daytona RS

1996: 113

1997: 195

Sport 1100

1994: 365

1995: 1,191

1996: 215

Sport 1100 IE

1997: 1,314

Sport 1100 Corsa

1998: 200

Those numbers are very, very close to the production numbers published in Ian Falloon's "The Moto Guzzi Story" by model, but with much more detail by year.

How come we've never been able to get this for the V11 series? :huh2:

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know how these numbers compare to the colour they were made in? My best educated guess would be at least 50% are red coloured but how about the black (i love'em) and those rare blue and silver ones? Just curious to know.

That is an interesting question. Back in the '90's the CEO of the importer for the US had told me how many silver 1996 Sports came to the US but the number escapes me. Regarding the blue Sport 1100 they came here by mistake so whatever other market received blue Sports in 1996 is where they were intended to go. As the story goes the US importer opened a shipping container and was surprised to find some blues but decided it was cheaper to keep them versus to sent them back.